We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Cache drives

34 minutes ago, FreeMan said:

See this thread, also from today:

awesome found the place and it worked.

Out of curiosity how would you go about removing 1 of the cache drives so it's only 1 cache?

On 7/18/2016 at 4:46 AM, johnnie.black said:

How do I remove a cache pool disk?

A few notes:

-unRAID v6.4.1 or above required, upgrade first if still on an older release.

-Always a good idea to backup anything important on the current cache in case something unexpected happens

-You can only remove devices from redundant pools (raid1, raid10, etc), and make sure to only remove one device at a time from a redundant pool, i.e., you cant remove 2 devices at the same time from a 4 disk raid1 pool, you can remove them one at a time after waiting for each balance to finish (as long as there's enough free space on the remaining devices).

-

Procedure:

• stop the array
  • unassign pool disk to remove
  • it's OK to reorder remaining pool members if you want (but see point below), i.e., you had a three device pool and removed cache2, you can assign cache3 to slot2 before starting the array (you can also do it later)
  • while it's OK to reorder members it's currently not OK to change the number of cache slots at the same time you remove a device, you can do that after the pool is balance down, i.e., just don't do both things at the same time.
  • start the array
  • a balance and/or a device delete will begin depending on the profile used and number of pool members remaining, wait for cache activity to stop, the stop array button will be inhibited during the operation, this can take some time depending on how much data is on the pool and how fast your devices are.
  • when the cache activity stops or the stop array button is available the replacement is done.

When an array is stopped and then unassigned I don't have the option to start back up the array.

3 minutes ago, ThatNewb said:

Out of curiosity how would you go about removing 1 of the cache drives so it's only 1 cache?

Having just moved from a single cache drive to a 3-drive setup, this isn't something I'm familiar with and is well above my pay grade. I'm sure someone will be along to help out.

1 hour ago, ThatNewb said:

When an array is stopped and then unassigned I don't have the option to start back up the array.

Your exact wording here is a little bit different than that in the FAQ you quoted, so it makes me wonder if you actually did what it said.

Stop the array

Unassign the one cache pool disk to remove (and do nothing else)

Start the array

Wait for it to complete as indicated by the Stop button being enabled.

Is that what you tried to do?

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Your exact wording here is a little bit different than that in the FAQ you quoted, so it makes me wonder if you actually did what it said.

Stop the array

Unassign the one cache pool disk to remove (and do nothing else)

Start the array

Wait for it to complete as indicated by the Stop button being enabled.

Is that what you tried to do?

for me the option to start the arrray is grayed out. It's basically waiting for a replacement drive to be put in. Maybe I'm not unassigning the drive correctly?

Sort of lost track of the rest of the thread.

6 hours ago, ThatNewb said:

change my 2 cache drives to be raid 0 rather than the default raid 1

5 hours ago, ThatNewb said:

it worked

5 hours ago, ThatNewb said:

removing 1 of the cache drives

Then, putting that together with the FAQ

On 7/18/2016 at 4:46 AM, johnnie.black said:

You can only remove devices from redundant pools (raid1, raid10, etc)

raid0, which you say you successfully converted to, is not redundant.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Sort of lost track of the rest of the thread.

Then, putting that together with the FAQ

raid0, which you say you successfully converted to, is not redundant.

at the start it was raid 1 which was redundant pool but has no way to start array when drive was unassigned. I had either wanted raid 0 or removal of the storage device as the solution. Though now I'm just curious as to how to remove drive in raid 1 config. Though now the interest has also carried to how to do so with raid 0 config. (There is limited sata ports)

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

There is no way to remove a drive from raid0 since it has no redundancy. Each of the drives are assumed to have contents the other doesn't.

You would have to backup cache and start a new cache with only one disk.

roughly how would you do this?