Network configuration question

JackBauer

I can't get something to work right...

//tower resolves and will bring up the configuration web pages.

I configured my Supermicro MB's IPMI network section with a hostname of IPMI.

Within my router, the "Client Name" in the DHCP clients list, shows both IPMI and Tower in the table, with their IP addresses and MAC addresses.

However - If I just type in //IPMI in a browser window...  the result is MS sends me to the bing search engine with a search query of "IPMI".

So for the life of me I am not sure what is wrong where the router properly shows the DHCP clients, but I can't "short name" if you will, the IPMI IP address resolution.

Any ideas?

Well yeah I could do that - but DHCP could give a different IP address.

I could then use my router to address that, by giving it a persistent IP address.

I'd just like to "fix" it the most elegant way if possible.

Although since I don't know why unraid's "tower" name is being appropriately looked up and "IPMI" is not...  I may have to use that fallback.

I see what your saying, I didn't even think of doing it the way you want. I may give it a try from my MAC. I did exactly what you stated, I reserved the IP address on my router.

Yeah I mean the thing that is so peculiar to me is that the router sees the "host name" properly just that nslookup / browsers will not resolve "ipmi" even though they will resolve "tower".

While the work around exists, my curiosity is piqued.

I can't believe I forgot about this. You will still need to reserve the IP address in the router. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

But I didn't have to do that for \\tower

Just automatically my browser and router are working together, without any special configuration whatsoever.

I just plug my unraid box into the network, and other pc's on my network recognize it as \\tower

I just am very curious why that works for \\tower but not for the IPMI host name I configured...  Which my router seems to see that host name in the DHCP clients list.

It's peculiar.

You could do this for windows.

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/hosts.htm

Yes I know about hosts

But again - I did no configuration whatsoever to get \\tower to respond properly, yet \\ipmi does not.  (And the IPMI IP address IS responsive when I put that into my browser)

\\tower is resolved by windows networking services.  It is coordinated on your LAN by the PC that is designated as the "master browser"

//tower is resolved by your DNS server.  It is a URL, not a machine on the LAN offering shared services.

Note // vs. \\

Two different items two different methods to resolve their names.  Microsoft does not care/know of IPMI.

\\tower is resolved by windows networking services.  It is coordinated on your LAN by the PC that is designated as the "master browser"

//tower is resolved by your DNS server.  It is a URL, not a machine on the LAN offering shared services.

Note // vs. \\

Two different items two different methods to resolve their names.   Microsoft does not care/know of IPMI.

Ok but how is //tower getting into my DNS?  What is unraid doing, networking wise, so that my router picks up that //tower = 192.168.1.102  ?

TY :)

Name resolution on your local network is not using DNS, it is using NETBIOS, these are two different protocols for mapping names to IP addresses.  DNS is used for the Internet and in enterprise situations and is typically not worth setting up on a small, single subnet, home network.  Most consumer routers act as a DNS proxy so whenever it receives a DNS request it forwards it to the ISP DNS servers; this is solely for resolution of public domains (.com .net .org etc).

The problem is that the Supermicro IPMI modules do not use NETBIOS for resolution, so your options are set the IPMI device to a static IP address, set a DHCP reservation on your router/DHCP server so the IPMI device always receives the same IP address, or let the IPs fall where they may and use the Supermicro IPMI management utility and let it scan for the device.

Archived