Disk offline - removed - Parity rebuild slow

aurevo

31 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You can still mount it with UD then copy data to the array, Unraid won't accept it since partition won't be using the full disk, you could sync parity with the disk unmountable then rebuild, partition would be correctly recreated during that, but it will take longer.

Install the nerdpack plugin, you can then installed screen there.

I hope ddrescue runs through now without problems, I will report at the end.

Would you be so kind to check the log again, if the hard disk TOSHIBA_HDWE160_9699K69FF56D - 6 TB had problems as well? It has been spontaneously unavailable the last few days and was no longer part of the array or was not recognized by the SAS controller. 
At first I thought it was due to the cable, but I already exchanged it for a new one and the problem was the same.

3 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

You can still mount it with UD then copy data to the array, Unraid won't accept it since partition won't be using the full disk, you could sync parity with the disk unmountable then rebuild, partition would be correctly recreated during that, but it will take longer.

Install the nerdpack plugin, you can then installed screen there.

Do I have to create a new config for that like you mentioned in the post before?

"you could sync parity with the disk unmountable then rebuild, partition would be correctly recreated during that, but it will take longer."

- How exactly are the steps I have to do after ddrescue finished?

And thanks again for your patience.

4 minutes ago, aurevo said:

Do I have to create a new config for that like you mentioned in the post before?

Yes, but I recommend first mounting the disk with UD just to make sure it's mounting and data looks correct or the rest of this would be pointless, if all looks good you'd need to:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply

-Unassign old disk

-Assign new disk (the ddrescue dest)

-Start array to begin parity sync

-New disk won't mount because of "invalid partition"

Once the parity is synced:

-stop array

-unassign the disk

-start array

-emulated disk should now mount correctly

-stop array

-re-assign disk to rebuild on top

7 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Yes, but I recommend first mounting the disk with UD just to make sure it's mounting and data looks correct or the rest of this would be pointless, if all looks good you'd need to:

-Tools -> New Config -> Retain current configuration: All -> Apply

-Unassign old disk

-Assign new disk (the ddrescue dest)

-Start array to begin parity sync

-New disk won't mount because of "invalid partition"

Once the parity is synced:

-stop array

-unassign the disk

-start array

-emulated disk should now mount correctly

-stop array

-re-assign disk to rebuild on top

As seen attached, is it normal, thar there are no errors?

Disconnected any other disk than the "failing" 4TB disk and the new one (6TB).

2020-03-04 02_56_03-root@Tower_ _dev.png

2020-03-03 15_36_08-Tower_Main.png

How to mount the disk without loading the Keyfile and starting the array?

Edited by aurevo
5 hours ago, aurevo said:

As seen attached, is it normal, thar there are no errors?

Not that surprised since the disk problems didn't look like bad sectors, but that the disk sometimes was slow or not even initialized correctly.

After the new config you'll be asked for the encryption key/passphrase.

3 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Not that surprised since the disk problems didn't look like bad sectors, but that the disk sometimes was slow or not even initialized correctly.

After the new config you'll be asked for the encryption key/passphrase.

Should the disk be mountable right after disk clone?

Pushing "MOUNT" is showing "MOUNTING" for a few seconds and nothing happens.

2020-03-04 11_50_39-Tower_Main.png

And after sync / rebuild will the 6TB become available or only 4TB?

Edited by aurevo
6 minutes ago, aurevo said:

Should the disk be mountable right after disk clone?

Yes

6 minutes ago, aurevo said:

Pushing "MOUNT" is showing "MOUNTING" for a few seconds and nothing happens.

Likely because of the encryption, UD uses the same key as the array, and since array is not started I suspect that's the problem, but would nee the syslog to confirm.

Like suspected there's no key and can't be get from the array.

Mar  4 11:48:49 Tower unassigned.devices: luksOpen: key file not found - using emcmd to open.
Mar  4 11:48:51 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/mapper/ST6000DM003-2CY186_WCT2Z4WV' '/mnt/disks/ST6000DM003-2CY186_WCT2Z4WV'
Mar  4 11:48:51 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/mapper/ST6000DM003-2CY186_WCT2Z4WV' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/ST6000DM003-2CY186_WCT2Z4WV: special device /dev/mapper/ST6000DM003-2CY186_WCT2Z4WV does not exist. 
Mar  4 11:48:51 Tower unassigned.devices: Partition 'ST6000DM003-2CY186_WCT2Z4WV' could not be mounted.

If you start the array, even using a single encrypted disk, it should mount after that.

8 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Like suspected there's no key and can't be get from the array.

Mar  4 11:48:49 Tower unassigned.devices: luksOpen: key file not found - using emcmd to open.
Mar  4 11:48:51 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount drive command: /sbin/mount -o rw,noatime,nodiratime '/dev/mapper/ST6000DM003-2CY186_WCT2Z4WV' '/mnt/disks/ST6000DM003-2CY186_WCT2Z4WV'
Mar  4 11:48:51 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount of '/dev/mapper/ST6000DM003-2CY186_WCT2Z4WV' failed. Error message: mount: /mnt/disks/ST6000DM003-2CY186_WCT2Z4WV: special device /dev/mapper/ST6000DM003-2CY186_WCT2Z4WV does not exist. 
Mar  4 11:48:51 Tower unassigned.devices: Partition 'ST6000DM003-2CY186_WCT2Z4WV' could not be mounted.

If you start the array, even using a single encrypted disk, it should mount after that.

Too many wrong and/or missing disks!

Is there any "trick" or do I have to connect all drives again?

45 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

If you want you can do a new config to reset the array and assign a single drive, make sure you take note of current assignments, in case you want to keep them the same for later.

Wanted to try, but now the next problems when starting the array with all disks to mount via UD.

The ddrescue-dest also not available to mount.

2020-03-04 13_55_34-Tower_Main.png

tower-diagnostics-20200304-1355.zip

Edited by aurevo
55 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

There are errors on 4 disks, likely a connection issue.

I disconnected the defective 4TB disk and now this is the state. One disk missing.

Parity, Disk 4, 5 and 6 are on Port 1 SAS-Controller.

Disk 7 and the ddrescue-dest are on Port 2 SAS-Controller.

SSDs and the both 3TB disks are on the mainboard onboard.

As I said before I changed the SAS-Cable yesterday so I do not think that it is the cable.

Also disk 4 and 5 seem to have errors which where yesterday without errors.

Why is disk 6 emulated or disabled but also shown as available in the disk slot 6?

2020-03-04 14_53_11-Tower_Main.png

2020-03-04 14_56_46-Tower_Dashboard.png

5 minutes ago, aurevo said:

And is my Windows VM on the cache devices affected or deleted?

New Config never changes anything on any of the assigned disks. It just (optionally and by default) rebuilds parity on the disk assigned to the parity slot, based on the data on the data disks assigned in the parity array. And parity contains none of your data just in case you are unclear about that.

22 minutes ago, trurl said:

New Config never changes anything on any of the assigned disks. It just (optionally and by default) rebuilds parity on the disk assigned to the parity slot, based on the data on the data disks assigned in the parity array. And parity contains none of your data just in case you are unclear about that.

Yes, then I actually had a wrong understanding of how it works.

So I can now start the configuration and test if UD mounts the new hard disk.

In order to use my shares later as before you have to restore the old assignments (with the new disk), right?

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Shares will already work, except the data on the missing disk will be missing from any share it uses, as well as any share(s) that use that disk only.

I just started the array, the parity sync ran for a moment and then the parity disk was no longer available.

The ddrescue-disk could be mounted and I was able to access it for a short time, but this is now not possible from Windows (e/a device error).

I almost think something is wrong with the SAS controller.

tower-diagnostics-20200304-1759.zip