AMD 5500 XT passthrough

thogarth

I've been losing my mind trying to get my vm to passthrough my gpu. I'm a total noob and have been trying to go through old threads to find a solution, any help would be appreciated. 

Model: Custom

M/B: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B360 AORUS GAMING 3 WIFI-CF Version x.x - s/n: Default string

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version F13. Dated: 06/05/2019

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 384 KiB, 1536 KiB, 12288 KiB

Memory: 32 GiB DDR4 (max. installable capacity 64 GiB)

Network: bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500
 eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500

Kernel: Linux 4.19.98-Unraid x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.1.1d

GPU - Gigabyte AMD Radeon 5500 XT

I've upgraded my mobo bios to the latest stable version

I've tried to use a graphics rom bios (not sure I found the right one)

I've fiddled with PCIe ACS override

tried both SeaBIOS and OVMF

no idea what to do next. do I have to buy a different GPU? if so which ones work??

Not sure if relevant but all I want to use machine for is hosting Plex and running a VM for gaming on Steam and connecting to my TV. Plex is running fine

Thanks

On 2/29/2020 at 3:47 PM, thogarth said:

no idea what to do next. do I have to buy a different GPU? if so which ones work??

1. Your best bet is to try custom kernel (at your own risk) with the navi patch - see quoted posts at end of this reply. There is no other fix for the AMD reset bug (which essentially means your GPU can only be powered on once per boot).
  2. You can buy a cheap low-end GPU (something in the $30 price range) and set that as Initial Display Output (it's in BIOS settings) so Unraid boots with it.
    Them dump your own vbios of the 5500XT. That will give you a fighting chance (but NOT GUARANTEED!) to be able to pass it through. With an AMD GPU, you are still likely to have to reboot the whole server to restart the VM due to that same reset bug. This option can be done together with the other option.
  3. The 3rd option is to go Nvidia but again no guaranteed. You may still have to get a cheap low-end GPU to dump your vbios, but the key diff is you probably don't need it to be reserved for Unraid to boot (e.g. you can borrow a GPU from a friend just to dump the vbios). I am currently running my 1070 as a single GPU after dumping its vbios using a GT710 as the low-end.

15 hours ago, Bjarndyr said:

I’m in the same situation as you. I’ve got a post going about it, there are some suggestions in there, but I haven’t yet tried any of them. I’ll likely wait for the next update to Unraid, and hope that fixes the issues. I wish I could help out more.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/88832-5500-xt-primary-gpu-passthrough-help/?tab=comments#comment-824825

The fix lies with AMD and I have not seen any indication that AMD is offering any perm fix (and hence no perm fix with Linux kernel - and then you have to take into account Unraid will never run on the latest bleeding edge kernel).

So your next best bet is for a navi patch that doesn't cause regression (i.e. break other stuff) for other users. That patch is again not available at the moment.

TL;DR: you will be waiting for quite some time.

Some resources for both of you regarding custom kernel with navi patch. Try it at your own risk, as always.

(the best option is to compile your own Unraid with the navi patch).