How to change array disk without the Parity disk

Hi guys,

I have been using unRaid for almost a month. It's really great.

As a test, I just add one 1T HDD as Array disk and a 128G SSD as Cache disk. So there is no Parity disk in my system.

Then I purchase two new HDD as the array disk. Because my case is small and I won't use the old HDD in the system.

How can I move all the date from the old HDD to new none without data/config lost (I set several VMs and apps)?

Seems it works in next step:

- use one of the new disk as Parity disk firstly (yes, the size of new HDD are large than 1T)

- remove the old 1T disk form the system

- add the other new disk to the system as Array disk

But Parity disk is unnecessary to me (I save the important data on other devices). Maybe I need change the parity disk as new array disk when I finished the step above to use the two new HDD‘s space? Just chance the config in [Main], is that right?

Is there any other way to meet my needs? All suggestions are welcome, thx :)

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

I don't see any point to get parity involved if you don't intend to have parity. Especially since there isn't much data. Just add one of the disks, copy the data to it, replace the smaller disk when done. 

Hmm, a little confused. Use Terminal or apps like FileBrowser?

4 hours ago, wLyn said:

Yes, I can

Then it's pretty easy.

1. Connect 2x new HDD's to your server, as well as the old HDD.
  2. Install the preclear plugin from the app store and run it on the 2 new HDD's (which should show up on the Unassigned Devices list on the Main page). This step will take some time. If there's any reallocated sector / pending sector / other critical errors at the end of the preclear, start your RMA process instead of continuing (i.e. you have a faulty HDD).
    Note: the exception is CRC error which is usually cable related.
  3. Stop the array, add the 2x new HDD's to the array (disk 2 and disk 3). Start array.
  4. Install the Unbalance plugin from the app store. Go to Settings -> Unbalance to enable it and find the port it is using. Then point your browser to http://[ip of server]:[port] to access it.
  5. Use the Unbalance plugin to distribute your data from disk1 to disk 2+disk 3. The interface is very self-explanatory. Wait for it to finish.
  6. Verify that your disk 1 is now empty and disk 2 and disk 3 contain your data.
  7. Stop array. Tools -> New Config -> tick cache (so cache slot is MAINTAINED). Then go back to the Main page, it would now allow you to assign just the 2 new HDD's to the array. Then start array (now with only the 2 new HDD's) and reverify that your data is still there.
  8. (Optional) Your old HDD will now in Unassigned Devices list and you can actually run a preclear on it to wipe it so you can resell / recycle etc.
  9. Shut down server and disconnect the old HDD.
Edited by testdasi
57 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Then it's pretty easy.

1. Connect 2x new HDD's to your server, as well as the old HDD.
  2. Install the preclear plugin from the app store and run it on the 2 new HDD's (which should show up on the Unassigned Devices list on the Main page). This step will take some time. If there's any reallocated sector / pending sector / other critical errors at the end of the preclear, start your RMA process instead of continuing (i.e. you have a faulty HDD).
    Note: the exception is CRC error which is usually cable related.
  3. Stop the array, at the 2x new HDD's to the array (disk 2 and disk 3). Start array.
  4. Install the Unbalance plugin from the app store. Go to Settings -> Unbalance to enable it and find the port it is using. Then point your browser to http://[ip of server]:[port] to access it.
  5. Use the Unbalance plugin to distribute your data from disk1 to disk 2+disk 3. The interface is very self-explanatory. Wait for it to finish.
  6. Verify that your disk 1 is now empty and disk 2 and disk 3 contain your data.
  7. Stop array. Tools -> New Config -> tick cache (so cache slot is MAINTAINED). Then go back to the Main page, it would now allow you to assign just the 2 new HDD's to the array. Then start array (now with only the 2 new HDD's) and reverify that your data is still there.
  8. (Optional) Your old HDD will now in Unassigned Devices list and you can actually run a preclear on it to wipe it so you can resell / recycle etc.
  9. Shut down server and disconnect the old HDD.

Wow,got it.

Thank you so much. I will try your way and report the result later.

2 hours ago, wLyn said:

Wow,got it.

Thank you so much. I will try your way and report the result later.

Pay very careful attention that

• You don't accidentally assign any disk into the parity slot
  • You don't accidentally run preclear on a disk with data you want to keep.
  • You don't click "format" on disk with data on it. (If you see "format" as an option to progress, something is wrong or you have done something wrong because it's never part of any of the steps I forgot that I always format my disk right after preclear so there is a step with Format on it).

While it's actually rather hard to accidentally do those things, don't underestimate anyone's ability to do silly things.

Edited by testdasi
37 minutes ago, wLyn said:

Do I have to do the step2 while the new HDDa are brand new?

I need long time to pass it - -

Brand new doesn't mean good. Somebody could have used the package as a football before it got to you.

If you care about your data, you need to test your drives before trusting them to keep it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, testdasi said:

You don't click "format". (If you see "format" as an option to progress, something is wrong or you have done something wrong because it's never part of any of the steps).

If the new disks are precleared, they will have to be formatted before they can accept files. Just don't format any disk that already has data on it.

46 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Edited my original post. I always format a drive immediately after preclear without even thinking about it.

sadly I don’t know how to use unbalance to transfer the data form the old HDD to new HDD. Seems there is a permission problem. Will do some search work later.

BTW I didn’t finish the preclear then added them into the array and find that unRaid must format the new HDD firstly to use. This is necessary and safe I think. Both of you are right.