Unkown issues... High CPU usage. Laggy UI when multiple docker containers are running

Title about says it all. I don't know what is happening.

For reference, I had a 7700k installed in my server, but I just changed it to a AMD 1700x. It has a higher Passmark score and more cores, but a lower core clock and not encoding features. I hope that the raw performance gains and more cores to segregate VMs and containers are enough. (I was having some of the same issues with the 7700k)

Server Specs:

• Ryzen 1700x
  • ASrock Tachi 370x
  • 24gb of ram
  • 2 8tb drives  (1 as a parity)
  • 3 3tb drives
  • 6 various SSDs in a cache pool  2x 250gb 2x512gb 1x 200gb 1x 120gb
  • 4 of the SSDs are controlled by an adaptec SAS controller
  • Nvidia 1060 used for Plex
  • Nvidia 1080ti for VMs

The problems I am having are usually something to do with speed. Today I have had trouble simply watching a single 1080p TV show on Plex. It keeps buffering. Granted, a parity check did start randomly and was going on while I was streaming, bu this shouldn't be an issue. (The parity check was unscheduled and started after I had to do a hard reset. I don't know why).

CA fix common problems is telling me that my CPU is possibly not going to idle, but a quick grep showed:

root@PaulServer:~# grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
cpu MHz         : 2807.097
cpu MHz         : 2824.441
cpu MHz         : 2888.583
cpu MHz         : 3482.705
cpu MHz         : 2805.995
cpu MHz         : 2826.347
cpu MHz         : 3089.456
cpu MHz         : 3219.729
cpu MHz         : 2800.867
cpu MHz         : 2802.166
cpu MHz         : 3027.323
cpu MHz         : 3403.281
cpu MHz         : 2864.649
cpu MHz         : 2800.952
cpu MHz         : 2983.966
cpu MHz         : 2860.565

Also for some reason "CA fix common problems" says my cache write on disk 4 is disabled, but in the console it says it is enabled.

Anyway, I have no idea what is going on. I am tired of searching for information and coming up empty handed. I just need some help from someone who knows more than me.

I will post my diagnositcs zip. let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks so much!

paulserver-diagnostics-20200305-1549.zip

15 hours ago, Mustangf22 said:

The problems I am having are usually something to do with speed. Today I have had trouble simply watching a single 1080p TV show on Plex. It keeps buffering. Granted, a parity check did start randomly and was going on while I was streaming, bu this shouldn't be an issue. (The parity check was unscheduled and started after I had to do a hard reset. I don't know why).

A parity check could definitely cause this sort of issue as it will be causing contention for the disk drives if you are trying to stream at the same time.  

You might want to look into the Parity Check Tuning plugin as a way to only fun a parity check in increments outside prime time to improve the user experience?

(The parity check was unscheduled and started after I had to do a hard reset. I don't know why).

Parity Checks will always start after a unclean shutdown.  That's normal.  Having to do a hard reset is not.

fix common problems" says my cache write on disk 4 is disabled, but in the console it says it is enabled.

Show me where it says its enabled

After having it running for a few hours and having successive lock ups it looks like I am not running into the Ryzen issues. So it looks like I need to locate my "Power Supply Idle Control" function inside my UEFI/Bios settings and set it to "typical current idle."

While I am in there, do I need to do anything with my "c" states or "p" states??  I don't really understand those things completely or what they stand for, but I found on other threads that they can cause problems with Ryzen.

Also, just to be sure I understand what I read correctly, the max RAM frequency is 2133 for 4 dims in a first gen Ryzen like mine, right?

Edited by Mustangf22

Well I could not find any "Power Supply Idle Control" on my motherboard. After googling it seems people have had success disabling c6 or c states altogether. I updated my bios about 6 months ago and the only thing I could locate was the ability to disable c states completely. Therefore, that is what I have done for now. When I have time I will update my bios and see if ASrock has added any features. For now i will just hope this works. I am sure I will be back soon with more updates and possible more issues. Thanks all!

Edited by Mustangf22
  • 4 weeks later...

Well it has almost been a month with C states disabled completely . I have not noticed any negatives to this. No crashes so far. I still have not updated my bios since last fall. There may not even be an update since then, but I still need to check. however, I am very please with the performance so far. I have even been donating CPU power to Boinc with the Unraid team. I'm happy. Only wish I had more RAM installed...