Can't stop docker container Nextcloud or reboot the whole system

On 6/26/2021 at 5:03 AM, huquad said:

Unfortunately, this did not solve my problem and Nextcloud has yet again become unstoppable. I looked through my php error logs and found this error just before nextcloud crashed:

"Server reached pm.max_children setting (5)"

I have since added these lines to my www2.conf file:

pm = ondemand
pm.max_children = 300
pm.process_idle_timeout = 30s
pm.max_requests = 500

Update 1: This did resolve my php errors. However, nextcloud still crashed and caused the WebGUI to also later crash after a period of time (30minutes). After some MORE digging, I found this error (with my domain redacted for privacy) happened just before the crash:

2021/07/17 16:36:05 [error] 414#414: *301015 upstream timed out (110: Operation timed out) while reading response header from upstream, client: 172.18.0.2, server: _, request: "GET / HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://127.0.0.1:9000", host: "nextcloud.mydomain.com", referrer: "https://nextcloud.mydomain.com"

However, this error seems to happen every 5 minutes and might just be a symptom of the problem. I found it might be possible I have a RAM allowance issue. This would also somewhat explain the webgui crashing. I have reduced the nextcloud logging from debug (0) to info (1) to see if thats the issue as well (tons of logs with debug enabled). At this point, nextcloud seems to randomly crash after a couple weeks at which point a reboot resolves the situation. I will report back here if I find a solution and would advise anyone reading this to do the same. Cheers!

Did you ever find the cause and a fix?

My Nextcloud just started behaving the exact same way with the same errors in the logs. 

It's really frustrating. 

• 9 months later...

Anyone got definitive solution? I facing the same problems and don´t know what to do. Nextcloud is a fundamental service in my server and is very frustrating the constant need to restart unraid every time the nextcloud docker stop working.

• 2 months later...

I experience the same as @howiser1. Everything works fine with nextcloud on unraid until the iOS app is used to authenticate against the server: nextcloud stops responding (502 in the ios app log), and I can't restart/stop the container on unraid. Even stopping the docker service doesn't resolve, the unraid server itself will not shutdown/restart and needs a hard reset, which is bad.

I can recreate this consistently, so there is definitely an issue here with the unraid/nextcloud/ios combination. It's been a consistent problem for me across all recent versions of nextcloud and unraid.

I do use swag and cloudflare and access nextcloud externally, unsure if this is also playing a part.

Be great to know if anyone has any ideas on why this is happening. @howiser1 I see your post was from last year - do you still experience the issue?

• 1 year later...
On 10/2/2022 at 1:35 AM, gethowell said:

I experience the same as @howiser1. Everything works fine with nextcloud on unraid until the iOS app is used to authenticate against the server: nextcloud stops responding (502 in the ios app log), and I can't restart/stop the container on unraid. Even stopping the docker service doesn't resolve, the unraid server itself will not shutdown/restart and needs a hard reset, which is bad.

I can recreate this consistently, so there is definitely an issue here with the unraid/nextcloud/ios combination. It's been a consistent problem for me across all recent versions of nextcloud and unraid.

I do use swag and cloudflare and access nextcloud externally, unsure if this is also playing a part.

Be great to know if anyone has any ideas on why this is happening. @howiser1 I see your post was from last year - do you still experience the issue?

I'm seeing this happen on Android consistently. It seems that opening a file via CODE from the Android Nextcloud app is what causes it, but opening a file via the web interface in CODE/Collabora doesn't cause it to crash.

I mentioned the issue here: https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/44821

Edited by Hammy Havoc