Help with failed drive

I'd appreciate any help here. Not sure where i went wrong. I had a drive in my array go bad.

Configuration when my drive went bad

Parity: 1 x 4tb seagate

Array: 4 x 4tb seagate

One of my array drives went bad. I wanted to take the opportunity and upgrade the 4tb parity drive with an 8tb wd drive and use the old 4tb parity to replace the failed disk. It would not allow me to do the parity swap procedure as i never got the copy old parity to new parity option. So last night i added the 8tb drive as the second parity drive thinking that i would be able to unassign the 4tb parity drive and just use it to rebuild the array. but now i get the too many wrong or missing disks when i try do to this swap. 

What should i do here? help. 

23 minutes ago, trurl said:

How did you determine the drive was bad? Many things can cause a disk to become disabled and bad disks aren't the most likely reason.

as follows:

1. few days ago it was disabled due to a read error, it a few(under 40) pending sectors, and fewer reallocated sectors. 
  2. readded it to the array and rebuilt parity and it was fine
  3. a few days later it was disabled again
  4. what little i was able to grab out of smartctl showed that it had thousands of pending sectors and almost 10k reallocated.
  5. tried to readd it into the array
  6. kept failing with I/O error

The parity swap procedure should work, so I wonder if you got all the steps right.

i do not see much point in adding the 8TB as parity with a bad drive present.   I would be tempted to remove it, start the array to commit its removal.   At this point you should see your bad disk as not present and it’s contents being emulated.   You can now try the parity swap procedure again and come back here immediately with new diagnostics if it does not work so we get a chance to see what happened.

8 minutes ago, Colozeus said:

i forgot to add that i have physically removed the failed drive. Should i re-install it?

No.    The system should be emulating it and be able to show its contents just as if it was present using the combination of parity plus the other data drives.  If that is not the case then let us know.

ok, so i removed parity 1 which was the original 4tb parity drive. Array is back up with just the 8tb as parity 2 and disk 1 does show as missing with its contents now being emulated. Verified they are also actually available by accessing the files on that drive.  The question is how do i now use the old parity 1 drive to replace the missing 4tb disk 1 drive without losing content. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 3.43.59 PM.png

Edited by Colozeus