Assigning a disk to unraid.

What happens to a disk that is assigned to unraid, if that disk has a linux installation the disk is cleaned to be used with unraid.

i've assigned a nvme disk to unraid but contrary to any other linux distro unraid doesn't complain about the disk not empty or assigned space. already read the FAQ and there is no information about it, I know it may be self explanatory but I want a real answer to this, 

3 hours ago, zanedavies said:

Array.

filesystem has ext4 from an Arch installation.

When you start the array after assigning the disk Unraid will repartition the disk to meet Unraid standards (normally destroying any access to any data already on the disk), and give you the option of formatting the drive to create an empty file system of the type you have selected for the drive with the default being XFS for array drives, BTRFS for cache drives.

Depends if there is parity or not, currently Unraid doesn't touch any array assigned disk, if there's no parity it will just show "unmountable: invalid partition", if the disk is formatted by the user, then yes it will be re-partitioned and formatted, but if a disk is added to an array with parity it will need to be cleared first, but again the user needs to initiate the clearing.