Mover not working on "clean" install

Hi,

so I am testing unraid on a clean install right now.  Nothing major changed in terms of settings and nothing that should mess with the workings of the mover.

Base setup is a parity drive, 3 data drives and a cache.

I setup a testing homeshare for myself and set the caching to preferred.

Copying data to it works but the cache is now filled and not emptied as scheduled and when fired manually.

Running mover only results in

May 23 08:24:14 BAK root: mover: started
May 23 08:24:14 BAK root: mover: finished

No files are moved.

I tried to add the Community Addon "Mover Tuning" but it does not help my cause either.

I set mover logging to enabled but it appears to not prompt anything more in-depth or I am looking in the wrong spot.

I checked the log for "mover" related items but didn't find anything suspicious aside from "started" / "finished" being instantaneous.

Is there anything I overlooked or need to configure before mover can work?

main.PNG

scheduler_and_mover_tuning.PNG

bak-diagnostics-20200523-1725.zip

Edited by raidfish

Hi,

thanks for the response. But this is precisely what is not working for me (or I have a fundamental flaw of how mover is supposed to be working):

Cache: Prefer - keeps data mainly on the Cache drive or pool, but allows overflow to the array
- This is similar to Cache:Only, typically used for smaller shares or shares you want faster access to.  But it has additional advantages over Cache:Only - data that won't fit on the Cache drive can overflow to the array drives.  Also, if the Cache drive fails, the same share folders on the data drives will still continue working.  It's also useful if you don't yet have a Cache drive, but are planning to get one.  Once it is installed, the Mover will automatically (on its schedule) move all it can to the Cache drive.  And if you need to do maintenance on the Cache drive or pool, you can move all the files to the array, and they will be moved back once you are done 'maintaining'.

Cache Prefer:

It does not overflow (keeps saying folder full) nor does it move files off of the cache to free up space so it's not full anymore if I run mover manually.

Cache Yes / No:

Even if I set the cache to "Yes" or "No" and run mover manually it still keeps the files on the cache drive. For example attached screenshot is the result of setting it to no and running mover.

It does say:

May 23 09:41:16 BAK root: mover: started
May 23 09:41:16 BAK root: mover: finished

Am I looking at this the wrong way? For example is it impossible to move cached files off of the cache with mover if you set the share to cache: no?

cache_no.PNG

Edited by raidfish
38 minutes ago, raidfish said:

Am I looking at this the wrong way?

Yes.

Mover ignores cache-no and cache-only shares. It moves cache-yes shares from cache to array, and cache-prefer shares from array to cache. Cache-yes/prefer shares can overflow to the array if cache goes below its Minimum Free setting in Global Share Settings.

Also, mover can't move open files, and it won't move duplicates.

appdata, domains, and system shares are cache-prefer by default, so your dockers/VMs performance won't be impacted by the slower array, and so they won't keep array disks spinning, since these files are usually open files. Those shares all look correct according to the diagnostics you posted assuming you haven't changed them. That is good because it can take a few steps to get them moved to cache since their files are open.

If you want to move other shares from cache to array you must set them to cache-yes. Then if you don't want new files for those shares written to cache, you can set them to cache-no after all the files have been moved.

• Thanks 1