Help Array Device Moved To Unassigned Devices

Hi,

I had some motherboard issues and ended up unplugging my drives and plugging them back in. I have  5 10tb disks with 1 as a parity. 

When I booted up it said "Disk 2 Not Installed" It looks like it has put itself in Unassigned Devices.  If I stop the array and use the dropdown menu and add it back to my main array will it wipe the data off? I don't want to loss the data.

Thanks 

Edited by Badboy
11 hours ago, itimpi said:

Is the drive showing as disabled (with a red ‘x’)?

you should provide you system diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools -> Diagnostics) attached to your next post so we can see the current state of your system.

I think it did have an x on it.  I just went ahead and re added it  It said disk is now active, it's running a parity sync / data rebuild.  I read that as long as the disk was setup by unraid before it shouldn't touch the data. If I'm wrong my bad. LOL.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.

11 hours ago, Badboy said:

I think it did have an x on it.  I just went ahead and re added it  It said disk is now active, it's running a parity sync / data rebuild.  I read that as long as the disk was setup by unraid before it shouldn't touch the data. If I'm wrong my bad. LOL.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.

That was only true if you were using the New Config tool.   If the disk was disabled then Unraid is going to overwrite the existing contents with what it thinks the disk  SHOULD contain taking into account the combination of the other data drives plus parity.  This is the correct action to have taken if all your other drives are running without problems and parity is valid. It sounds like a rebuild is what is happening at the moment?   In other cases it can lead to data loss.

14 hours ago, itimpi said:

That was only true if you were using the New Config tool.   If the disk was disabled then Unraid is going to overwrite the existing contents with what it thinks the disk  SHOULD contain taking into account the combination of the other data drives plus parity.  This is the correct action to have taken if all your other drives are running without problems and parity is valid. It sounds like a rebuild is what is happening at the moment?   In other cases it can lead to data loss.

Looks like it just rebuilt the data, doesn't look like I lost anything. Now if I could get my LSI sata controller to pickup in unraid I would be all set. It's already in IT Mode. Just won't work. Thanks for the reply appreciate it.

22 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Are you sure you have the correct SATA breakout cables?

Hi,

I have the ones with the main lead and 4 going off of that.

Board is Asrock x370 SLI

LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA LSI 9201-8i = 9211-8i IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID US

These are the cables

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B012BPLYJC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The funny thing is it won't let me boot into the Bios when this card is plugged in.  I'm wondering if it's the drives I have plugged in. They are only going to be used as backups under unassigned devices.  My main drives are Seagate 10tb, these ones are WDs 4TB.   Maybe they need formatting? Isn't that what unassigned devices does? Thanks for the reply.

21 hours ago, Badboy said:

Hi,

I have the ones with the main lead and 4 going off of that.

Board is Asrock x370 SLI

LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA LSI 9201-8i = 9211-8i IT Mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID US

These are the cables

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B012BPLYJC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The funny thing is it won't let me boot into the Bios when this card is plugged in.  I'm wondering if it's the drives I have plugged in. They are only going to be used as backups under unassigned devices.  My main drives are Seagate 10tb, these ones are WDs 4TB.   Maybe they need formatting? Isn't that what unassigned devices does? Thanks for the reply.

According to Asrock  they say the board may not be compatible. 

• 1 year later...

tower-diagnostics-20220212-2111.ziptower-diagnostics-20220212-2111.zip

I have the eact same probelm...after a wrong contact of the sata plaug one of my array devices ist showed up in unassigned devices only..it has the red x @itimpi asked before in this thread. heres my diagnostic file...hope someone can help me out...sorry for my english and thanks in advance

;-)

Edited by Slaytanic