Disk read Error

Hi everyone,

I have a disk that is disabled right now, I had an unclean shut down for an unknown reason (I just came downstairs and saw the server rebooting) and when I restarted the array disk 15 was disabled and would not start. I tried restarting the array in maintenance mode and checking the disk but it doesn't seem to have done anything the disk still has a big red x next to it and is still disabled but now I have a green pop up that say 0 read errors found.  Is the disk dead? Should I take the disk out and replace it and have it rebuild the disk. Before I did anything though I thought it would be best to consult with the experts in the forum as I am unfamiliar with the steps to take in this situation..

Thank you so very much!

GTP

The red ‘x’ does not necessarily mean a drive has failed - just that a write to it failed for some reason.    If you attach your system’s diagnostic zip file (obtained via Tools -> Diagnostics) to your next post you will get more informed feedback.

it a;ways takes manual action to clear the ‘disabled’ state.    Details on this are covered in this section of the online documentation.

• Like 1

Thanks @itimpi I wanted to run both the short and extended smart tests before I posted my diagnostics. I have attached the zip file. I read through this wiki https://wiki.unraid.net/index.php/Troubleshooting#What_do_I_do_if_I_get_a_red_X_next_to_a_hard_disk.3F and I am ready to re-enable if that is what I should do but I wanted to make sure I am not doing anything wrong or in the wrong order before doing so.

Thanks again!

GTP

tower-diagnostics-20200625-2129.zip

36 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Lots of UDMA_CRC errors, replace the SATA cable and rebuild on top, assuming the emulated disk shows the correct data.

Thank you for looking at that. Just so I can re-iterate what you said you think I should replace the SATA cable and drive(this is the part I am confused about, as in failed drive chuck it) and then rebuild drive 15 from parity. I can do that, thank you for your assistance.

Thank you!

GTP

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...