newb questions

Ok, Im a newb so bear with me. I worked in the DOS days, but new to linux so these may sound really dumb.

1, the go script is essentially a task list that runs commands on boot, right? can I just copy the go file, update it on my windows machine as a txt file, and copy it back or does it have special formatting?

2, what is the difference between a user share or a disk share? if the system is just one big drive, why do disk1 and disk2 show up when I browse across the network? I created a user share called video and just started putting all my data there.. why do I need disk1 and disk2 to show up? is that to manually copy items from a physical disk? FYI I answered this one for anyone else who may have had the same question... under SHARES - EXPORT SETTINGS change DISK SHARES SMB to DONT EXPORT.

3. Does the powerdown script stop the array and shutdown? Im trying to bind the server to the power button so that a push turns it on (obvious) and then the power button runs the power script. That way i can just hit the case power when Im done using the server and it will shut down safely. Will adding this line to the go script do it )mobo supporting of course)?  sysctl -w kernel.poweroff_cmd="/sbin/powerdown"

Also see #1 to answer this one...

4. What is the syntax to make a user share a Export NFS share... ie what goes in that box to enable NFS?

5. Si I have my unraid behind a firewall on my network. however, someone can go to the webpage from WITHIN my network and make adjustments... anyway to prevent this? Reason i ask is that at my house, I can control access to my network (as much as anyone can) but it I were to use a server like this in a more small business netowrk, I would have less control and the last thing I would want is someone screwing with the settings and KILLING all of my data... any ideas?

6.Whats the best way to measure copy performance?

7. Whats the best way to get 4 tb data onto my unriad FROM my syno box so it doesnt take weeks and I need to leave another computer on to manage the copy?

Im sure I will have more questions... Im liking this so far...

Reed

Ok, Im a newb so bear with me. I worked in the DOS days, but new to linux so these may sound really dumb.

1, the go script is essentially a task list that runs commands on boot, right? can I just copy the go file, update it on my windows machine as a txt file, and copy it back or does it have special formatting?

Yes, you can edit it.  It is processed prior to being invoked to remove ms-dos carriage returns, so they will not bother it.  You can open it from your pc in file explorer at \\tower\flash\config\go

You do not need to move it to your PC to edit it, and in fact, it should not be removed when the server is started as system data is stored in the config folder.  You can move it if the server is stopped.

2, what is the difference between a user share or a disk share? if the system is just one big drive, why do disk1 and disk2 show up when I browse across the network? I created a user share called video and just started putting all my data there.. why do I need disk1 and disk2 to show up? is that to manually copy items from a physical disk? FYI I answered this one for anyone else who may have had the same question... under SHARES - EXPORT SETTINGS change DISK SHARES SMB to DONT EXPORT.

More useful is to set the disk shares to export as hidden, read/write.  That allows you to get to the disks directory if you desire.

3. Does the powerdown script stop the array and shutdown? Im trying to bind the server to the power button so that a push turns it on (obvious) and then the power button runs the power script. That way i can just hit the case power when Im done using the server and it will shut down safely. Will adding this line to the go script do it )mobo supporting of course)?   sysctl -w kernel.poweroff_cmd="/sbin/powerdown"

Also see #1 to answer this one...

See this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=6078.0

4. What is the syntax to make a user share a Export NFS share... ie what goes in that box to enable NFS?

See here in the wiki: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#How_do_I_configure_NFS_mounts.3F

5. Si I have my unraid behind a firewall on my network. however, someone can go to the webpage from WITHIN my network and make adjustments... anyway to prevent this? Reason i ask is that at my house, I can control access to my network (as much as anyone can) but it I were to use a server like this in a more small business netowrk, I would have less control and the last thing I would want is someone screwing with the settings and KILLING all of my data... any ideas?

Assign a root password, assign passwords to all other accounts.  (unRAID on many releases had logins with no passwords)  Do not run any add-ons that allow any access to settings.  Do not run ftp, or anything that allows direct file access.

6.Whats the best way to measure copy performance?

Install bwm-ng, an add on package that displays performance on the network and/or disks.

7. Whats the best way to get 4 tb data onto my unriad FROM my syno box so it doesnt take weeks and I need to leave another computer on to manage the copy?

If the other NAS presents a network share, then this tip in the wiki will help: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Transferring_Files_from_a_Network_Share_to_unRAID

Im sure I will have more questions... Im liking this so far...

Reed

Have fun.  The wiki has a treasure of information... happy reading.
  • 2 weeks later...

See here in the wiki: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=FAQ#How_do_I_configure_NFS_mounts.3F

Have fun.  The wiki has a treasure of information... happy reading.

Is that all that needs to be done to make an NFS mount? - Adding *rw to the Export (NFS) portion of the User Share?

I don't understand this part from the Wiki:

In addition a 'fsid' value is set for each user share.

If there are no shares specified to be exported via NFS, then all the various NFS daemons will not be started.

NFS shares have the path '/mnt/user/usersharename', for example the command to mount 'smb://unraid/photos' might look like:

mount unraid:/mnt/user/photos ~/mntpoint

I wanted to play around with this today.  I already had a user share: DVD set for export read/write via SMB.  I added *rw to the NFS field, rebooted and didn't notice any change.  The DVD share was still available at the same location on my network.  There was no new DVD share visible on my network.

Did anything happen?  Is this change completely transparent? i.e. Is that same DVD share now being shared via NFS?  I'm guessing no, it just seems to simple.

I have a network media streamer (PCH C-200) on order.  It's my understanding that the streaming experience may be better if using NFS instead of SMB.  Correct?

Thanks

John

When editing anything unRAID I would highly recommend something like Notepad++ opposed to regular Notepad because sometimes Notepad leaves things that are not seen, but unRAID finds them and doesn't know what to do with them.

For instance you use Notepad and the next thing you know unRAID sees a ? at the end of the when it doesn't want to.

I wanted to play around with this today.  I already had a user share: DVD set for export read/write via SMB.  I added *rw to the NFS field, rebooted and didn't notice any change.  The DVD share was still available at the same location on my network.  There was no new DVD share visible on my network.

Did anything happen?  Is this change completely transparent? i.e. Is that same DVD share now being shared via NFS?  I'm guessing no, it just seems to simple.

I have a network media streamer (PCH C-200) on order.  It's my understanding that the streaming experience may be better if using NFS instead of SMB.  Correct?

Your DVD share should be available via NFS. Yes, it is that easy. NFS has no zero-config capability, thus it will not "appear" on the network as available.

NFS shares need to mounted using a full network path. You will need configure a static IP address for your server if using NFS. Most routers allow you to reserve a static IP based on Ethernet MAC address. Or you can determine the current dynamic IP address that unRaid is using and set that address as the static address in the unRAID GUI. You will also need to set gateway, DNS, and NTP addresses in the GUI.

Now you know why some prefer SMB.

Your DVD share should be available via NFS. Yes, it is that easy. NFS has no zero-config capability, thus it will not "appear" on the network as available.

NFS shares need to mounted using a full network path. You will need configure a static IP address for your server if using NFS. Most routers allow you to reserve a static IP based on Ethernet MAC address. Or you can determine the current dynamic IP address that unRaid is using and set that address as the static address in the unRAID GUI. You will also need to set gateway, DNS, and NTP addresses in the GUI.

Now you know why some prefer SMB.

Not wanting to sound like a smart ass, but if you have to do all those other things, then it's not really "just that easy".

My question is: I added the *rw value to my DVD share on the unRaid GUI.  This DVD share was already available on my network and visible on my windows machine and mapped as a drive.  When I made the change in the NFS field, I did not notice any change elsewhere.  Now when I access my DVD share from my windows machine, am I using NFS instead of SMB?  That just seems way too simple, especially since you listed several other things that I need to change in order to use NFS.

I'm not even sure that I'll need to use NFS since things were working fine as they were. But my PCH C-200 isn't here yet, so I haven't tried streaming my movies.  I don't know if I'll need the extra bandwidth that NFS provides, but I figured that I might as well use it if it is faster.

Can anyone point me to a more through guide to configuring NFS on unRaid? The Wiki post is overly simplistic for me since I have a very minimal understanding of the topic.

Thanks

John

So does Windows not do NFS?

Seriously, I apologize for my ignorance, but I'd prefer to go ahead and set my unRaid up for NFS if it superior to SMB for video streaming.

I need the PCH C200 to "just work" for the wife acceptance factor, if it doesn't work well the first time that she tries it, then I don't know if she'll go back to try again.

If setting it up to use NFS instead of SMB will likely result in higher satisfaction, then I'd prefer to do the work than hear the complaints that the new toy doesn't work.

So does Windows not do NFS?

Seriously, I apologize for my ignorance, but I'd prefer to go ahead and set my unRaid up for NFS if it superior to SMB for video streaming.

I need the PCH C200 to "just work" for the wife acceptance factor, if it doesn't work well the first time that she tries it, then I don't know if she'll go back to try again.

If setting it up to use NFS instead of SMB will likely result in higher satisfaction, then I'd prefer to do the work than hear the complaints that the new toy doesn't work.

I've never seen an NFS client in windows... 

Archived