Cooling space recommendations?

FreeMan

My server has an AMD A10-7890K Radeon R7 @ 4.1 GHz with no extra video (it's a _file_ server). I've currently got 9 HDD and 3 SSD. My CPU temps are usually in the 30s C and I don't think I've ever noted it hitting 40°C. On rare occasion during monthly parity checks I may get an individual drive hitting 40°C or 41°C, but they're usually in the 30s as well.

I run straight air cooling and nothing is overclocked. I've got 3 front 120mm intake fans blowing over the 5-in-3 drive cages, two top exhaust 120mm fans, a top rear 120mm exhaust fan and the PSU fan out the back.

For years, this has been sitting in the room with lots of open space all around it, but, frankly, it's been in the way. I'm about to reorganize and put it into a cabinet to take up less floor space. There will be no door in front of the cabinet, but there will be shelves above it. I'm planning on leaving 2-3 inches of space behind it (mostly to give clearance for cabling out the back), but I'm wondering how much space I should leave above it to avoid trapping too much heat.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas beyond "keep and eye on it and move the shelf if temps get too high"?

Edited by FreeMan
  • 1 month later...