CPU Governor only seems to affect one cpu

Hey,

I have set the CPU Governor  via the Tips and Tweeks plugin, however I noticed only one cpu seems to pay attention the other one which has almost no used seems to be stuck at the the full 2.5ghz. I have confirmed this by running:

grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
cpu MHz         : 1598.407
cpu MHz         : 1598.412
cpu MHz         : 1598.415
cpu MHz         : 1598.414
cpu MHz         : 2530.821
cpu MHz         : 2530.819
cpu MHz         : 2530.828
cpu MHz         : 2530.822

Is this a known bug and is there away around it?

15 hours ago, dlandon said:

What is the output of the following command?

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor | wc -l

Thanks for you reply, the output is:

root@Odin:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor | wc -l
root@Odin:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor 
processor       : 0
processor       : 1
processor       : 2
processor       : 3
processor       : 4
processor       : 5
processor       : 6
processor       : 7
root@Odin:~# 

Any help would be greatly appericated 

19 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Tips and Tweaks will set the CPU Governor for all 8 reported CPUs, so it should be working fine.  I don't see an issue.

image.png.b2533bb01de66705dfb15d533d7a4dfc.png

Just checked again, I just cannot think of a reason why the last 4 cpus i.e. socket 2 is running at 2530mhz while the other is always lower.

Do you have any other ideas?

Edited by McKnight
3 hours ago, civic95man said:

is this dual socket/physical CPUs?

Yep it has two Quad core E6530 cpus on an HP Z800 motherboard, was good fun getting it in a normal ATX case and converting the power. The bios sees both cpus.

I don't think unraid is seeing them as separate cpus?

15 hours ago, McKnight said:

Yep it has two Quad core E6530 cpus on an HP Z800 motherboard, was good fun getting it in a normal ATX case and converting the power. The bios sees both cpus.

This may seem stupid but did you install both CPUs yourself, and I mean verify that they are both E5630?  I read somewhere that someone acquired a second hand server with different CPUs fitted - and it still seemed to boot/work.  Not even sure it its possible (also ready that the board can work with differing CPUs) so thats why I ask.  It may be a long shot

8 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Did you try you HW on another OS ? Say an ubuntu live and check what is the base speed in that situation ?

That would be a good starting point to see whats going on

23 minutes ago, civic95man said:

This may seem stupid but did you install both CPUs yourself, and I mean verify that they are both E5630?  I read somewhere that someone acquired a second hand server with different CPUs fitted - and it still seemed to boot/work.  Not even sure it its possible (also ready that the board can work with differing CPUs) so thats why I ask.  It may be a long shot

That would be a good starting point to see whats going on

Haha, yeah I did indeed install and confirm the CPUs..

What I'll do is when I get home tonight, I'll check the bios for any werid settings and try and run live ubuntu and report back the CPU states from ubuntu if its the same then I guess unraid isn't the problem. Its a pretty old motherboard so it could just be some strange power saving feature.

Will update later :) 

6 hours ago, McKnight said:

Haha, yeah I did indeed install and confirm the CPUs..

What I'll do is when I get home tonight, I'll check the bios for any werid settings and try and run live ubuntu and report back the CPU states from ubuntu if its the same then I guess unraid isn't the problem. Its a pretty old motherboard so it could just be some strange power saving feature.

Will update later :) 

Just burning ubuntu now, but I played with the bios settings using this as a guide https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/6z2mc2/setting_up_the_hp_z800_workstation_a_work_in/

Anyway after booting in to unraid I get this:

image.png.80e1392803139edcb982fc0a6dbf3688.png

Still same issues with cpu power though

image.png.e6082701ac3d04a2c4587b0e862ab8e1.png

Will update shortly with ubuntu findings

Edited by McKnight
On 7/29/2020 at 9:52 PM, McKnight said:

Just burning ubuntu now, but I played with the bios settings using this as a guide https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/6z2mc2/setting_up_the_hp_z800_workstation_a_work_in/

Anyway after booting in to unraid I get this:

image.png.80e1392803139edcb982fc0a6dbf3688.png

Still same issues with cpu power though

image.png.e6082701ac3d04a2c4587b0e862ab8e1.png

Will update shortly with ubuntu findings

Believe it or not... Shortly after booting up the ubuntu usb and the motherboard has seemed to give up the ghost. I think the problem was is there were actually 2 different cpus in the server which I was wrong about.