My Unraid server is too slow, on Mac

I use macOS, my Unraid server is really really slow, but I mean, a lot. Sometimes it goes down to 2-3 mbps. How can I do? Does a cache drive fix this?

jonny-diagnostics-20200821-2143.zip

I haven’t looked at your diagnostics yet, but I think you need to give us a bit more info about the scenario.

- What version of Mac OS are you using?
- How are you connecting to the unRAID server? WiFi or ethernet? Are you sure your network is ok?
- Have you tested if you are getting the same or better speeds from a different computer/OS?
- How are you mounting the share on the Mac? I assume via SMB?
- What exactly are you doing when you see those speeds? E.g. copying one 10GB file from your Mac to the unRAID share, or copying lots of small file from unRAID to the Mac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
On 8/22/2020 at 6:22 AM, Jorgen said:

- What version of Mac OS are you using?

High Sierra.

- How are you connecting to the unRAID server? WiFi or ethernet? Are you sure your network is ok?

Ethernet, network is ok.

- Have you tested if you are getting the same or better speeds from a different computer/OS?

Actually no, but I do only have another Mac with the same OS in the house...

- How are you mounting the share on the Mac? I assume via SMB?

Yes, I think it should be the automatic one.

- What exactly are you doing when you see those speeds? E.g. copying one 10GB file from your Mac to the unRAID share, or copying lots of small file from unRAID to the Mac?

Especially when moving to the unRAID, but sometimes also the other way. Also, when I move files from folder to folder inside the unRAID, it also gets really slow. Should it be faster? Because the files are already there and if I move them from a folder to another one I'm not actually writing anything new to the disks...

4 hours ago, ricksanchez_c137 said:

Also, when I move files from folder to folder inside the unRAID, it also gets really slow. Should it be faster? Because the files are already there and if I move them from a folder to another one I'm not actually writing anything new to the disks...

Depends on the source and destination. If the files are just having their paths renamed to the new folder it will be nearly instant. If, however, the destination path is on a different disk, then you are copying and deleting instead of just renaming. Copying and deleting from one disk to another inside the array will be slow, as parity has to be updated for both the source and destination disk, effectively cutting the raw single disk speed by 1/4 or more.

Hmm, I don't actually read/write to the shares much from my Mac (Catalina), especially big files. But I just did a test and the speeds aren't as fast as I expected for me either. I'm getting 10-20MB/s write, and a bit less on reads (single large file).

There are some SMB config tweaks floating around on the forum specifically for Mac transfer speeds, I will look into to this to see if it makes a difference and report back.

In the mean time, have you enabled "Enhanced macOS interoperability" under Settings/SMB Settings in unraid? If not, do that and see if it helps (probably requires restart of array at least).

1730142061_ScreenShot2020-08-24at9_32_45am.thumb.png.d42b10f7687ed2d94644bc19d4ebfc1c.png

• 2 years later...

I'm having this same issue.  MacOS 12.1, Wifi, SMB, 144 files, total size 883 MB.  Just attempting to initiate the transfer too probably 10mins, then the actual transfer is about 1-15MB/s.  

Folder discovery is pretty much impossible to use on the mac.  I often just go to my windows machine and find the files I need, and then push them to a smaller directory just so I can open that on my mac.  

I've tried the "Enhanced macOS interoperability" setting, but that broke my connection to the NAS from my windows machine.  Just wondering if anyone else came to any conclusions here.  

• 5 months later...

I've been having the same issue for a while now. Mostly usable, but as my RAW photo folders grow it's way too slow to use (meaning browsing in Finder). Transfers from the unraid server are fast enough, but transferring to it is very very slow. Cache is set to 'yes'. 

I'm using SMB, iMac Big Sur 11.7 with wired ethernet 1GB to a switch, then 10GB optical connection to the router. Server is 10 GB optical connection.

Transfers are crazy slow, it takes many minutes to load folder contents from finder, and transfers often fail. eg transferring 100 files at 50 MB each takes maybe an twenty+ minutes to get to the actual transferring - you can see the temporary files slowly being written, then the actual transfer starts. 

adonis-diagnostics-20230530-1417.zip