all of the sudden unraid gui is very slow [6.8.3]

dgtlman

I have two unraid boxes. One is working fine - everything reacts quickly. the other one is a new build and was working great. now all of the sudden it take a long time to do anything. For example:

• Starting or stopping array. 

• starting up dockers

• updating or adding new dockers. 

But, actually using the services seem fine. Plex doesn't stutter. I am accessing both from the same browser (Firefox). Rebooting doesn't help. Using a different browser or computer produces the same results. I am at a loss to figure out the next steps on how to resolve this. Any help would be appreciated. 

iron-diagnostics-20200912-0014.zip

Just now, Benson said:

Speed normal ( 4.7Ghz turbo), but if according syslog raid6 performance result seems a bit low.

so what would the best way to fix this be? 

I don't mind rebuilding the entire unraid box from scratch if that will fix it.... so long as I don't lose data. Also, the only docker that I absolutely wouldn't want to rebuild is plex, although I would prefer not having to redo any of them if not necessary. 

If I do need set up plex from start, what is the best way to do that? If there is a different solution what would that be?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, dgtlman said:

so what would the best way to fix this be? 

I don't mind rebuilding the entire unraid box from scratch if that will fix it.... so long as I don't lose data. Also, the only docker that I absolutely wouldn't want to rebuild is plex, although I would prefer not having to redo any of them if not necessary. 

If I do need set up plex from start, what is the best way to do that? If there is a different solution what would that be?

Thanks!

You can backup USB by Unraid build-in feature, then start from scratch, this should let you identify hardware or software problem.

Have you try safe mode, dose also slow system responds ?

Edited by Benson
Just now, Benson said:

May be some docker or its image have problem.

It is slow even with both the docker service turned off or on. It is the entire gui. Regardless. I'll give safe mode a try and see if that makes a difference. 

If I do need to rebuild everything, is there any  document that goes over how to preserve data and do a clean unraid build?

8 hours ago, dgtlman said:

It is slow even with both the docker service turned off or on. It is the entire gui. Regardless. I'll give safe mode a try and see if that makes a difference. 

If I do need to rebuild everything, is there any  document that goes over how to preserve data and do a clean unraid build?

As mention, you can backup whole USB stick by Unraid build-in backup feature or copy all file youself. Then you can format / recreate the USB ( copy the xxx.key file in /config folder ) and restore the backup in anytime.

fd.PNG.2307ac4c7acf3a1cda5cd57b185bb23f.PNG

Just wanted to give a quick update. Last weekend I backed up the usb and tried a clean system. I quickly found out that this wasn't the issue as it was just as slow. In fact it would take a long time to unmount the array. 

After looking through the logs I noticed that one of the disks seemed to be the culprit. I don't know if it was a disk issue or the fact that it was formatted as BTRFS. I have two drives in my config and the cache drive that are all BTRFS. So I spent the next couple of days moving data off those drives. and swapping them out. The new drives are now XFS like all the other ten drives in my array (with the exception of the cache). 

Does it matter that the cache (which are two drives configured as a JBOD set) are BTRFS?

Since doing that, EVERYTHING is much faster now. And I don't appear to have any other issues. Thanks for the help!

Edited by dgtlman