[SOLVED] Adding new drive to array - no filesystem

Olymoly

good evening,

i have started to use unraid this week and i am trying to understand where i should go from here. i have created the array with new drives as xfs and added data to them from my previous drives. i am now  at the point where i am adding the previous drives to the new array.

i've preclear and formatted to encrypted xfs a drive to add to the array. after completing the format its file system is listed as auto, un mountable - no file system. there was no data on the disk and smart has no error at any point of process.

how can i dianose and fix this? where do i go from here?

thank you

Normally you add a pre-cleared drive to the array at which point it will show as unmountable as it has no file system and Unraid will be offering to format the drive.    If you do not want the default format then at this point you can click on the drive to set an explicit format.    You then format it to the desired format.

Your description sounds like you did something different - if so what were the actual steps you followed?

Yes, I this is the order that it happened, One the drive was precleared I selected to format the drive, selecting xfs encrypted.

I remember spaceinvader mentioning that I wouldn’t need to format a precleared drive. however I thought it would add itself to the array or show an option to when It was done. It didn’t and when it finished all I saw an Unmounted drive that needed be formatted. I guess at that point I should have just stopped the array and added the drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are saying that you formatted the drive after pre-clearing it but BEFORE you added it to the array?   That is the incorrect order as the format would have removed the preclear status so Unraid would have promptly carried out a Clear on the drive when you added it to the array. The format needs to be done AFTER adding it to the array.

Unraid is probably offering to format it again?    If so you just need to check the disk is set to the file system type you want and then proceed to format it again.

42 minutes ago, itimpi said:
You are saying that you formatted the drive after pre-clearing it but BEFORE you added it to the array?   That is the incorrect order as the format would have removed the preclear status so Unraid would have promptly carried out a Clear on the drive when you added it to the parity protected array. The format needs to be done AFTER adding it to the array.

Yes, after preclearing and before adding it the array.

Ok, so remove the drive and precleared again? There was no data on it

1 hour ago, Olymoly said:

Ok, so remove the drive and precleared again? There was no data on it

No point as that Just wastes time.   Just format it from Unraid now that it has been added to the array.   You might want to first click on the drive (with the array stopped) to set an explicit format type if you do not want the default file system type set under Settings -> Disk Settings.

FYI:  I have added a paragraph about this into the official Unraid documentation on the process of adding disks.

No point as that Just wastes time.   Just format it from Unraid now that it has been added to the array.   You might want to first click on the drive (with the array stopped) to set an explicit format type if you do not want the default file system type set under Settings -> Disk Settings.

FYI:  I have added a paragraph about this into the official Unraid documentation on the process of adding disks.

Ok, it took me many reads and rereads but I got it.

I checked the box to format all unmounted drives and it worked. Thank you. Itimpi

In the future for my remaining drives I will do the same.

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Adding new drive to array - no filesystem
1 hour ago, Olymoly said:

Ok, it took me many reads and rereads but I got it.

Any suggestions for making the wording clearer would be welcomed.    It is always difficult when up you know what is the correct procedure to make sure that you have clearly specified what is needed in a manner that is meaningful to a user who is new to the system.