Rebuilding my Unraid. Please help.

Here is the processor in place. From what I read, this CPU can probably be unlocked to a Phenon II x4. Don't know if I'll try that. Would Unraid be faster with a x4?

unRAID is bound by disk i/o and drive spin-rotation latency. It is not CPU bound. The only items that would be CPU bound are if you installed and used a lot of addons for transcoding (such as HandbrakeCLI, PS3MediaServer) or with multiple downloads, par checking, and unraring (such as Transmission, SabNZBD) or with virtual machines running (such as xen, vmWare, esxi, virtual box).

I highly advise against overclocking/unlocking/overspeccing anything on your servers. The first priority of a server should be absolute stability. Running anything out of spec can cause issues including data corruption and data loss. That's the exact opposite reason of why you're running unRAID in the first place.

Here is the processor in place. From what I read, this CPU can probably be unlocked to a Phenon II x4. Don't know if I'll try that. Would Unraid be faster with a x4?

unRAID is bound by disk i/o and drive spin-rotation latency. It is not CPU bound. The only items that would be CPU bound are if you installed and used a lot of addons for transcoding (such as HandbrakeCLI, PS3MediaServer) or with multiple downloads, par checking, and unraring (such as Transmission, SabNZBD) or with virtual machines running (such as xen, vmWare, esxi, virtual box).

I highly advise against overclocking/unlocking/overspeccing anything on your servers. The first priority of a server should be absolute stability. Running anything out of spec can cause issues including data corruption and data loss. That's the exact opposite reason of why you're running unRAID in the first place.

You could even go so far and instead of unlocking more cores, turning one of them off - which is what I did on mine. No difference in performance, instead less heat and less power draw, and your phenom has muscle to spare anyway.

Hi,

You're right. Since Unraid is not so CPU dependant and I'm not going to run more extras than I'm currently running, I'll leave it stock.

Thank's for the input!

I hope tonight I can start loading the server with contents! :)

Are my hard-derives in shape?

Cheers!

One word of advice that will speed up your copy.

"DON'T" add the Parity drive.

Copy everything over and only then add the parity, it will go much faster.

I typically get 30-40 MB/s with parity which I'm more than happy with.

Without parity I was getting 60-70MB/s on my initial copy.

So far so good.

The Unraid box precleared all 3 WD20EARS with Screen.

I just loved telnet and Screen to preclear the drives. Worked like a charm. Many thanks to all and the wiki!  :)

So, I think the preclear went very smooth, but since I'm no expert, I've attached the preclear results.

If you guys can take a look and give me some feedback, It would ease my mind alot.

Your version of the preclear script is at least 2 or 3 versions old.  I've improved the final report from

the version you used.  (newest version 1.3 was uploaded about 5 minutes ago)  You might want to download the

newest version before you preclear another disk.

There is nothing wrong with your results, I just made it more easy for less experienced users to interpret the output.

Joe L.

So far so good.

The Unraid box precleared all 3 WD20EARS with Screen.

I just loved telnet and Screen to preclear the drives. Worked like a charm. Many thanks to all and the wiki!  :)

So, I think the preclear went very smooth, but since I'm no expert, I've attached the preclear results.

If you guys can take a look and give me some feedback, It would ease my mind alot.

Your version of the preclear script is at least 2 or 3 versions old.  I've improved the final report from

the version you used.  (newest version 1.3 was uploaded about 5 minutes ago)  You might want to download the

newest version before you preclear another disk.

There is nothing wrong with your results, I just made it more easy for less experienced users to interpret the output.

Joe L.

Dear Joe L., I appreciate your input. I'll download the new version before preclearing any other drives. Thank you very much!

I was just nervous because I read some threads about problems with WD20EARS, namely some units being DOA or with problems. Guess I'm ok to proceed then! :)

One word of advice that will speed up your copy.

"DON'T" add the Parity drive.

Copy everything over and only then add the parity, it will go much faster.

I typically get 30-40 MB/s with parity which I'm more than happy with.

Without parity I was getting 60-70MB/s on my initial copy.

Hi,

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunnately I'm already building the initial parity, It's almost finished actually.

And I believe 30 to 40MB/s will be just fine. If you count the sheer size of storage, I think it's great. I'm used to USB 2.0 speeds, and I won't use the server to move files to often. Just store and play my media library.

Cheers!

Hi,

Just an update.

My server is running strong.

I already loaded my movie collection to a user share /movies.

Than, I connected my Western Digital TV live to my network, loaded it with B-rads custom firmware, moviesheets+ and shared the user share with NFS and now I can stream my movies in full 1080p m2ts to my wdtv and it runs great! I'm really liking the combo of the Unraid with the WDTV as my home cinema setup.

For someone who doesn't know, this is what moviesheets+ looks like:

[flash=200,200]

This movie is not my system. It's a demo by the Moviesheets+ creator. Big thumbs up to him!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I just bought one of the Norco/X-case 5-in-3s.  It should be arriving this week sometime.  I plan on writing up a full review comparing it to the Supermicro and IcyDock 5-in-3s.  Stay tuned!

Have you had a chance to evaluate the Norco 5-in-3 cage?  I'm very interested in purchasing some of these and I'd like to know what you think of them before ordering.  Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, after considering that the cost of four 5-in-3 cages is more than the Norco 4220 case, I'm going to return my Lian Li PC-A77F case and order the Norco 4220 case.

Yep, I just bought one of the Norco/X-case 5-in-3s.  It should be arriving this week sometime.  I plan on writing up a full review comparing it to the Supermicro and IcyDock 5-in-3s.  Stay tuned!

Have you had a chance to evaluate the Norco 5-in-3 cage?  I'm very interested in purchasing some of these and I'd like to know what you think of them before ordering.  Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, after considering that the cost of four 5-in-3 cages is more than the Norco 4220 case, I'm going to return my Lian Li PC-A77F case and order the Norco 4220 case.

I did, and I love them.  My full review is coming soon.  If you want 20+ drives the Norco cases are definitely a cheaper option.