Missing Disks after CPU Upgrade

HighNoon

Tonight I upgraded my dual E5-2620 v1 CPUs to E5-2650 v2. Upgrade seemed to go well and unRAID recognizes the new CPUs but now all of my disks are missing in "Main" tab of the GUI. I have 13 HDDs (2 parity, 11 data) and 1 SSD (cache). All are missing.

I thought maybe a cable had come loose so I checked all the connections in the server and everything seems to be plugged in just fine so I'm at a loss as to what could be going on and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

I've attached diagnostics if needed.

tower-diagnostics-20201116-2321.zip

I removed the HBA (LSI SAS9201-16i) from my unRAID server and installed it in my Windows machine. Windows seems to recognize it just fine. In device manager it is listed under "Storage controllers" as "LSI Adapter, SAS2 2116 Meteor ROC(E)".

I guess as a next step I'll try putting the HBA back into my unRAID server and switching back to the old CPUs and see what happens. I'm not sure what about a simple CPU swap would cause my HBA to not be detected by unRAID... seems that CPU upgrades in unRAID machines should in theory be pretty painless.

Another update. I did as I mentioned previously and put the HBA and old CPUs back into my unRAID server and lo and behold everything is 100% fine. Seems to me that the new CPUs must be defective in some way unless I'm missing something. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I return these CPUs to the seller.

I tried the GTX690 and long story short it worked just fine with the old CPUs but not at all with the new CPUs. Even after removing the GTX690 I could not get the system to even POST with the new CPUs (which it was doing before). Bottom line I think these CPUs are defective and I'm returning them. Thanks for the help!

26 minutes ago, HighNoon said:

I tried the GTX690 and long story short it worked just fine with the old CPUs but not at all with the new CPUs. Even after removing the GTX690 I could not get the system to even POST with the new CPUs (which it was doing before). Bottom line I think these CPUs are defective and I'm returning them. Thanks for the help!

take it/them out wipe the pads with a drop of alcohol, dry it and reseat it/them.

are you sure all the mobo' pins (i'm guessing intel) are ok?

PCIe lane issues is often a bad cpu mount.

A gpu might run fine with as little as 4 lanes so just because it boots................

Edited by mdrodge

After the new CPUs (E5-2650 v2) did not work I did try cleaning the pads with isopropyl but it did not make any difference. I'm mounting my old CPUs (E5-2620 v1) the exact same way as the new CPUs so I'm pretty sure the CPU mount isn't the issue. The CPU pins on the mobo (SuperMicro X9DRL-iF) appear to be 100% intact in both sockets.

1 minute ago, HighNoon said:

After the new CPUs (E5-2650 v2) did not work I did try cleaning the pads with isopropyl but it did not make any difference. I'm mounting my old CPUs (E5-2620 v1) the exact same way as the new CPUs so I'm pretty sure the CPU mount isn't the issue. The CPU pins on the mobo (SuperMicro X9DRL-iF) appear to be 100% intact in both sockets.

bios or chips i guess then mate

I might but first I'm gonna try a new pair of chips. At first unRAID seemed to recognize the v2 chips just fine (reported correct CPU info and core/thread count) so I don't see any possible way that would happen if the BIOS didn't even properly support the v2 chips. At any rate I already boxed up the bad chips... time to try a different eBay seller.

On 11/19/2020 at 5:43 PM, HighNoon said:

Just curious how the BIOS might be causing an issue? According to SuperMicro's website v2 chip support requires BIOS version 3.0 or above and I'm on 3.0a

The current version is 3.3 but I'm always wary of updating the BIOS if there aren't any issues a BIOS update will directly address.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon/c600/x9drl-if.cfm

Well that's an early bios in the life of that cpu. Its possible they may have fixed this problem with an update. Do later version change notes give any clue.

I understand not wanting to update unless forced to but I'd try it personally if something wasn't working after upgrading hardware.

At least read the change notes i guess.