• 6.8.0 rc3 Shares not available on Android

Bakerking31
    • Retest Minor

I had this issue on rc2 as well.  On 6.7.2 previously and for all releases before that I used, I could access my shares on my phone on the same network.  rc3 seems to block that access.  I checked before upgrading to rc3 and was able to access my shares, I then updated and checked after the server was updated for 10 minutes.  I could not access any shares on my android device.  Then I went back to 6.7.2 and was able to access them again within a minute of booting, so its definitely related to 6.8.  This was all over local network and my phones wifi was on, tested over a 10-15 minute period of updating then downgrading, no network settings changed.

My phone is using an app called ES file explorer to access the server.  I can use my phone to access my main computer as well and tested that when I could not reach the shares to make sure it was not an issue on my phones side.  The fact that I could reach my server before upgrading, then could not on rc3 but could reach my desktop, then could reach my server again when downgraded back to 6.7.2 indicates the issue is with rc3.  

My server is visible on my network to my phone, I just click on it and it does not respond.  

Shares work as normal on my desktop running windows 10 and connected via ethernet.  

EDIT:  This appears to be related to the implementation of SMB2.0 and dropping SMB1 … my app used SMB1.   I am not sure if there is a fix other than changing apps.  

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Also fwiw my DUNE players are not running Android.  I have three Base 3.0 players and one SMART D1.  These run Linux.

Best,

craigr

Could maybe add a setting like "Allow SMBv1". It's good if people abandon V1 if they can. Too insecure and old now. I only use new devices and they have support for SMBv2 and up. Windows 10, Nvidia Shield Android TV and my android phones can browse without problem now. In windows 10, I had to add V1 support to get browsing network shares to work but now with the changes in unraid 3.8, I have removed the support for V1 on all my win10 systems. Browsing and discovery works great and I have NetBIOS off. 

• Like 1

In case it helps, my Mac OS also exhibiting strange behaviour.  I can actually go to the share the first time, but second time it doesn't show up as mounted in the GUI, only if I go via console.  Haven't fully had a look at it yet, but thought it might help with the thinking.  On RC3 and RC1 though.