• Unraid OS version 6.12.0-rc7 available

limetech

Please refer to the 6.12.0-rc1 topic for a general overview.

Version 6.12.0-rc7 2023-06-05

Changes vs. 6.12.0-rc6

Share "exclusive mode":

• Added "Settings/Global Share Settings/Permit exclusive shares" [Yes/No] default: No.
    • Fix issue marking share exclusive when changing Primary storage to a pool but share does not exist there yet.
    • Make exclusive share symnlinks relative.
    • Disable exclusive share mode if the share NFS-exported.

Networking:

• Fix issue where/etc/resolve.conf can get deleted when switching DNS Server between auto/static.
    • Support custom interfaces (e.g. Tailscale VPN tunnel or zerotier L2 tunnel)

Web Terminal:

• Change renderer from webgl to canvas to mitigate issue with latest Chrome update.
    • For better readability, changed background color on directory listings where 'w+o' is set.

Docker:

• Fix issue detecting proper shutdown of docker.
    • rc.docker: Fix multiple fixed IPs

VM Manager:

• Fix issues with VM page loads if users have removed vcpu pinning.
    • ovmf-stable: version 202305 (build 3)

Other:

• Fix issue mounting emulated encrypted unRAID array devices.
    • Fix ntp drift file save/restore from persistent USB flash 'config' directory.
    • Remove extraneous /root/.config/remmina file
    • Misc. changes to accommodate webGui repo reorganizaion.

webGUI:

• Fixed regression error in disk critical / warning coloring & monitoring

Linux kernel

• version 6.1.32
    • CONFIG_FANOTIFY: Filesystem wide access notification
    • Like 10
    • Thanks 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

HOW TO SETUP TAILSCALE OR ZEROTIER COMMUNICATION

• Install the Tailscale or Zerotier docker container as usual and start the container
    • It is recommended to have this container autostart as the first container in the list

image.png

• Go to Settings -> Network Settings -> Interface Extra
    • This is a new section which allows the user to define which interfaces are used by the Unraid services. By default all regular interfaces with an IP address are included in the list of listening interfaces
    • The tunnels of the built-in WireGuard function of Unraid are automatically added or removed from the list when the Wireguard tunnels are activated or deactivated. The user may exclude these tunnels from the list of listening interfaces
    • To use the Tailscale or Zerotier interface, it is required to add the interface name or IP address of the communication to the list of included listening interfaces. It is imperative that Tailscale or Zerotier container is running before the interface is added to the list.

image.png

• A check is done if a valid name or IP address is entered and the new entry is added to the list of current listening interfaces. At this point, services are restarted to make them listen to the new interface as well

image.png

• When the new listening interface is active, it is possible to use it. For example it allows Tailscale to enter the GUI on its designated IP address

image.png

Included and Excluded listening interfaces need to be reactivated each time the server reboots or the array is restarted.

To automate this process, you can add the following code in the "go" file (place it before starting the emhttpd daemon)

# reload services after starting docker with 20 seconds grace period to allow starting up containers
    event=/usr/local/emhttp/webGui/event/docker_started
    mkdir -p $event
    cat <<- 'EOF' >$event/reload_services
    #!/bin/bash
    echo 'sleep 20;/usr/local/emhttp/webGui/scripts/reload_services' | at -M now 2>/dev/null
    EOF
    chmod +x $event/reload_services

With this code in place and autostart of containers is enabled, it will ensure the listening interfaces are automatically updated after a system reboot or array restart.

• Like 2

Just curious on the reasoning/need to not allow exclusive shares on NFS exported shares.  Wondering if you can share that? Is there an override?

Edited by smdion
    2 minutes ago, smdion said:

Just curious on the reasoning/need to not allow exclusive shares on NFS exported shares.  Wondering if you can share that? Is there an override?

NFS cannot deal with a symlink.  You can use the actual storage location.  For example if you have Syslogs as a cache only share, use the /mnt/cache/Syslog reference rather than /mnt/user/Syslog.  This avoids shfs when using /mnt/user/Syslog.

• Like 3

After update one drive in pool devices have unmountable unsupported or no file system, name wd-purple. Try to change uuid but nothing. In log see 

BTRFS: device fsid 4e147e71-a85b-4dd0-bef7-c71878eab427 devid 1 transid 176 /dev/sdh1 scanned by mount (4878)
    Jun  6 21:04:54 HomeServer kernel: BTRFS info (device sdh1): using crc32c (crc32c-intel) checksum algorithm
    Jun  6 21:04:54 HomeServer kernel: BTRFS info (device sdh1): using free space tree
    Jun  6 21:04:54 HomeServer kernel: BTRFS error (device sdh1): bad tree block start, mirror 1 want 30474240 have 0
    Jun  6 21:04:54 HomeServer root: mount: /mnt/wd-purple: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdh1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
    Jun  6 21:04:54 HomeServer kernel: BTRFS error (device sdh1): bad tree block start, mirror 2 want 30474240 have 7601034337507611842
    Jun  6 21:04:54 HomeServer kernel: BTRFS error (device sdh1: state C): failed to load root csum
    Jun  6 21:04:54 HomeServer kernel: BTRFS error (device sdh1: state C): open_ctree failed

Before update its working

homeserver-diagnostics-20230606-2114.zip

2 minutes ago, yarx said:

Before update its working

Doesn't look update related, but please downgrade back to the previous release you were running to confirm.

Thanks for including the option to add custom listening interfaces, I've added the tailscale0 network and access via the web works fine.

However I am not able to access the server via SMB and SSH, is this still a limitation or am I forgetting something?

36 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Doesn't look update related, but please downgrade back to the previous release you were running to confirm.

Downgrade does not solve it. How can i restore data? 

Help please?

I added metadata special devices to my zfs pool and it seemed to work until next reboot. After a reboot array is not spun up and zfs pool is reported as "Unsupported or no file system".  Is there a way around this?

I really really want medadata special devices on my zpool :).

20 minutes ago, baujahr said:

Thanks for including the option to add custom listening interfaces, I've added the tailscale0 network and access via the web works fine.

However I am not able to access the server via SMB and SSH, is this still a limitation or am I forgetting something?

All services follow the same conditions.

SSH works fine for me. Make sure you use the tailscale tunnel

Jun 6 21:01:54 flora sshd[23009]: Connection from 100.86.214.68 port 59214 on 100.89.107.81 port 22 rdomain ""

SMB try to restart the array and see if that make a difference (be sure to have the additional code in the 'go' file).

44 minutes ago, yarx said:

Downgrade does not solve it. How can i restore data? 

Jun  6 21:13:32 HomeServer kernel: BTRFS error (device sdh1): bad tree block start, mirror 1 want 30474240 have 0
    Jun  6 21:13:32 HomeServer kernel: BTRFS error (device sdh1): bad tree block start, mirror 2 want 30474240 have 7601034337507611842

Metadata was redundant and both are corrupt, in a different way, suggesting some hardware/firmware issue, there are some recovery options here you can try.

43 minutes ago, KrisMin said:

I added metadata special devices to my zfs pool and it seemed to work until next reboot.

Assuming it was added with the array started you need to re-import the pool after, see the last part of this post for how to.

• Thanks 1
    53 minutes ago, bonienl said:

SMB try to restart the array and see if that make a difference (be sure to have the additional code in the 'go' file).

I did some more reading on samba, it requires an interface with supports broadcast.

WireGuard / Tailscale define their interface as a host address (/32) which does not support broadcast.

Hence samba is not listening to such an interface eventhough it is given in the list of permitted interfaces.

14 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Assuming it was added with the array started you need to re-import the pool after, see the last part of this post for how to.

Got it, thank you!

9 minutes ago, bonienl said:

I did some more reading on samba, it requires an interface with supports broadcast.

WireGuard / Tailscale define their interface as a host address (/32) which does not support broadcast.

Hence samba is not listening to such an interface eventhough it is given in the list of permitted interfaces.

Thanks for the update, please kindly look into this as I access the server remotely via a Tailscale tunnel.

Rolling back and staying at the older version for now..

33 minutes ago, baujahr said:

Thanks for the update, please kindly look into this as I access the server remotely via a Tailscale tunnel.

GUI and SSH are reachable over tailscale

Are you using samba over tailscale?

I did a quick test on Unraid 6.11.5 and here also samba is not working over a wireguard/tailscale tunnel, which is expected because these tunnels do not support broadcast.

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

GUI and SSH are reachable over tailscale

Are you using samba over tailscale?

I did a quick test on Unraid 6.11.5 and here also samba is not working over a wireguard/tailscale tunnel, which is expected because these tunnels do not support broadcast.

The strange part is that the GUI is accessible and the server is pingable via Tailscale but SSH refused the connection.

Samba is accessed via direct IP and this works just fine on the previous version, I can't pinpoint where the problem lies as I've added the code to /boot/config/go and the proper interfaces to be included.

It just times out with no response with also no log records whatsoever.

For ssh, open a terminal window in the gui and type

/etc/rc.d/rc.sshd reload

What do you mean with “direct ip”?

7 minutes ago, bonienl said:

For ssh, open a terminal window in the gui and type

/etc/rc.d/rc.sshd reload

What do you mean with “direct ip”?

For example there is a remote laptop with Tailscale and ip 100.1.1.2 installed that accesses the server via IP 100.1.1.1. I put this unRAID Tailscale IP address in Windows Explorer and can access the server share just like it was on the local network.

With the new release I've added tailscale0 into the included interfaces which should allow a remote Tailscale laptop 100.1.1.2 to access the server on 100.1.1.1.

The GUI webinterface works, i can ping the server. But as mentioned previously SSH refuses the connection and SMB share also won't connect.

Edited by baujahr

Have problem with my lsi 2008 asus pike. It passthrough to windows vm. On stable release it working good. After update on same vm it does not start, i see it on device manager with error. I downgrade it, start vm and its working. 

Edited by yarx
    12 hours ago, baujahr said:

The GUI webinterface works, i can ping the server. But as mentioned previously SSH refuses the connection and SMB share also won't connect.

Ok, found a solution and fix will come in next version.

Thanks

• Thanks 1
    1 hour ago, bonienl said:

Ok, found a solution and fix will come in next version.

Thanks

Great to hear! Awaiting the next release.👏

This update, i had the configs for my nginx proxy manager, kasm, and portainer all erased.  Same thing happened with rc6.

What am i doing wrong?