• [6.12.8] Docker Container won't create when emty hostpath is in template

sonic6
    • Solved Minor

After updating 6.12.8 i did an container update to paperless-ngx.

the container won't create because of:

docker: invalid spec: :/usr/src/paperless/export:rw: empty section between colons.

image.thumb.png.ad0090f8c48d2f79d27f7ebc5214ed06.png

this wasn't a problem on 6.12.6.

here a complete log:

docker run
      -d
      --name='paperless-ngx'
      --net='bridge'
      -e TZ="Europe/Berlin"
      -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
      -e HOST_HOSTNAME="Unraid-1"
      -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="paperless-ngx"
      -e 'PAPERLESS_REDIS'='redis://192.168.0.50:6379'
      -e 'PAPERLESS_OCR_LANGUAGE'='deu+eng'
      -e 'PAPERLESS_OCR_LANGUAGES'=''
      -e 'PAPERLESS_FILENAME_FORMAT'='{created_year}/{correspondent}/{created_year}{created_month}{created_day}-{correspondent}-{document_type}'
      -e 'PAPERLESS_TIME_ZONE'='Europe/Berlin'
      -e 'PAPERLESS_TIKA_ENABLED'='1'
      -e 'PAPERLESS_TIKA_ENDPOINT'='http://192.168.0.50:9998'
      -e 'PAPERLESS_TIKA_GOTENBERG_ENDPOINT'='http://192.168.0.50:3000'
      -e 'PAPERLESS_IGNORE_DATES'=''
      -e 'PAPERLESS_CONSUMER_POLLING'='0'
      -e 'PAPERLESS_SECRET_KEY'='lülülülülülülül'
      -e 'USERMAP_UID'='99'
      -e 'USERMAP_GID'='100'
      -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
      -l net.unraid.docker.webui='http://[IP]:[PORT:8000]'
      -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/selfhosters/unRAID-CA-templates/master/templates/img/paperless.png'
      -p '8000:8000/tcp'
      -v '/mnt/cache0_vm/appdata/paperless-ngx/data':'/usr/src/paperless/data':'rw'
      -v '/mnt/user/Dokumente/':'/usr/src/paperless/media':'rw'
      -v '/mnt/user/temp/paperpess_import/':'/usr/src/paperless/consume':'rw'
      -v '':'/usr/src/paperless/export':'rw'
      --hostname paperless-ngx
      --no-healthcheck 'ghcr.io/paperless-ngx/paperless-ngx'
    docker: invalid spec: :/usr/src/paperless/export:rw: empty section between colons.
    See 'docker run --help'.

The command failed.

Removing the "Export" Path, helped temporarily.

Diagnostic is attaced.

unraid-1-diagnostics-20240216-1729.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Why would you want to have a container path that isn't mapped to a host path?

The docker executables let that slide without an error on 6.12.6 and do indeed return an error on 6.12.8.  And the error is correct.  Docker silently failed on .6 as it wouldn't create any container path.  Now they're calling it an error instead of silently failing.

There is a bug here, but it's not that the path is empty.  Rather that on editing or creating a container and adding a new path without a host path that you can apply without having it filled out unlike installing a new template with an empty path where it forces you to enter something before you can apply.

What happens if you properly fill out the export path?

In your screenshot the host path is empty, which would explain the error.

I don't think 6.12.6 would have accepted it either.

6 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

6.12.6 fails silently in this circumstance (incorrect behavior)  Tested it all and I can get this via the GUI no problems.

7 minutes ago, Squid said:

Why would you want to have a container path that isn't mapped to a host path?

I didn't "want" it empty. It was like I load that template from the CA and I don't have any reasons using that path at the moment. I didn't recognize that before, because the container was builded with that empty path on later unraid version.

9 minutes ago, Squid said:

Docker silently failed on .6 as it wouldn't create any container path.  Now they're calling it an error instead of silently failing.

Okay thank you for explaining me that case. 

9 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

What happens if you properly fill out the export path?

The same, like I did (deleting that path): it will work. 

9 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

I has... Like squid said before.

I reported it, because I think I will not the last one who runs into that "problem"

Just wanna try to help. 

36 minutes ago, Squid said:

6.12.6 fails silently in this circumstance (incorrect behavior)  Tested it all and I can get this via the GUI no problems.

After a little bit of back and forth with @sonic6 I think this is simply a bad Docker template either the maintainer has to fill out a path by default for the host and container or he has to fill out the container path and mark the path as required so the user is forced to fill in the path or delete the path.

That‘s my opinion on that.

8 minutes ago, ich777 said:

After a little bit of back and forth with @sonic6 I think this is simply a bad Docker template either the maintainer has to fill out a path by default for the host and container or he has to fill out the container path and mark the path as required so the user is forced to fill in the path or delete the path.

That‘s my opinion on that.

OK.  What I'll do then is have CA adjust every template on 6.12.8+ to have the paths as required..

• Like 1

Just found you can get a similar error if the host path is set but there is nothing in the server path field.

22 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Just found you can get a similar error if the host path is set but there is nothing in the server path field.

image.png

• Like 2
    • Haha 1
    19 hours ago, Squid said:

OK.  What I'll do then is have CA adjust every template on 6.12.8+ to have the paths as required..

Would an FCP warning be possible?

In my case I ran into this problem with the LSIO Plex docker. IIRC the template was originally setup with users adding their own paths for movies, tv shows etc but at some point LSIO added these paths to the template. Since I (and others) already had these paths as host path 2, host path 3 etc the newly added paths were never used and that worked just fine until 6.12.8. It was an easy fix after the update since someone else had already found the fix and posted it in that support thread but I think an FCP warning might help people who unknowingly have this problem prior to them updating to 6.12.8. Just a thought.

2 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Would an FCP warning be possible?

In my case I ran into this problem with the LSIO Plex docker. IIRC the template was originally setup with users adding their own paths for movies, tv shows etc but at some point LSIO added these paths to the template. Since I (and others) already had these paths as host path 2, host path 3 etc the newly added paths were never used and that worked just fine until 6.12.8. It was an easy fix after the update since someone else had already found the fix and posted it in that support thread but I think an FCP warning might help people who unknowingly have this problem prior to them updating to 6.12.8. Just a thought.

A quick patch plugin will be done shortly.   FCP will warn if the plugin isn't there.

This isn't fixing any bug but rather changing the behaviour.  If there is a bug per se then it's with previous versions of docker

• Thanks 1