• [6.12.9] CIFS: VFS: directory entry name would overflow frame end of buf

unCoreX
    • Solved Urgent

Updated my main unraid server. At the end i got this information in the log. And it still growing.

I did reboot again after the update, but is still there.

This is no warning, just some information, but like to know what it means :)

Something I should be worried about or is this just some info in the new Kernel? Can i hide this or is it a easy fix for this?

image.png.77d61e6e0a23c91351accd2e56998a0f.png

EDIT:

This has something to do with the SMB share. I just shutdown the containers that i know are using my SMB (I have two NAS)
    And then start it again, the message came back.

I did teste with other containers that not use SMB, like Heimdall, Dozzle. No messages.
    So maybe this has something todo with the Unassigned Devices plugin?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hi,
    I had downgraded back to 6.12.8 and the "bug" is gone. I also notice that i had some problems with new episodes that's has been added to Sonarr.  Some of the episodes wouldn't be added even when the episode was in the right season folder. I deleted the episode, redownload it. It was added to the right season, Sonarr found it and everything seems to be ok,. But after I did "Refresh & Scan" the episode was gone from sonarr, but i was still on my NAS.

Rolled back to 6.12.8 everything back to normal and no more problems with episodes in Sonarr.
    All my Media files are located on my NAS, so all the arr and plex server are pointing to my NAS.

image.png.6a960bb080d809d29d0100063f5c7fd3.png

So I stay for now on version 6.12.8. Maybe some other are experience the same when they have the same setup like I have. :)

I had thesame issue.
    Rollback fixed it all.

And it wasn't that the episodes werent added to Sonarr, or even Plex, they just literally could not see the files.
    I had existing random files dissapear aswell from Sonarr, and Plex.

Upon investigating i realised that the entirety of Unraid itself could not see, or access those files, as they did not exist for it.

Most likely because of this overflow error.

Rolling back fixed everything. And plex rescraping those folders showed the extent of the issue as 100's of files were re-added to plex.

• Upvote 1
    5 hours ago, CiscoCoreX said:

All my Media files are located on my NAS, so all the arr and plex server are pointing to my NAS.

What is the NAS?  Another Unraid server?

45 minutes ago, dlandon said:

What is the NAS?  Another Unraid server?

No, is where all my media are stored. 

image.png.03989aa999425b6be3c6e37c2bde43cf.png

I have to NAS, one for Backup and the most important the Multimedia(all my movies etc are there)
    As you can see in the image, i have mounted Multimedia to the unraid server. I have everything running here, Plex server, lot of arr's all of the are pointing to this mount:  /mnt/remotes/Multimedia/

Edited by CiscoCoreX

I am able to reproduce the issue.  It appears when you remote mount a share from a server that is not another Unraid.

• Like 1
    1 minute ago, dlandon said:

I am able to reproduce the issue.  It appears when you remote mount a share from a server that is not another Unraid.

Yeah that's right, nice to see you also could reproduce this :)

1 minute ago, CiscoCoreX said:

Yeah that's right, nice to see you also could reproduce this :)

Yeah, now to track down why it's happening.  What fun!

1 minute ago, dlandon said:

Yeah, now to track down why it's happening.  What fun!

I'm sure you going to figure it out, thanks :)

Kilrah

Posted (edited)

Updated and went to browse my remote mount from unraid to check and had such messages as well. Downgraded as precaution because my server backs up 20TB worth of another machine's data using rsnapshot twice a day via SMB and it'd wreak complete havoc in the retention history if suddenly a bunch of files were not seen. 

Edited by Kilrah
    9 hours ago, dlandon said:

In my case these were Unraid Servers running 6.12.9 as well. I did upgrade them all yesterday. All have SMB mounts to each others disks (disk shares) via Unassigned Devices.

They all showed this error. The mounts were there, but showed only the first directory per mount. syslog was full of CIFS VFS errors.

After downgrading all machines to 6.12.8 business is back as usual.

Edited by hawihoney

Same issue here. My SMB mount is via unassigned devices and goes to a Synology share (DSM 7.2 latest) and at least one of the subfolders in the share just has zero content visible in the share now. The data is all there on Synology and my Windows PCs see it fine. Same errors in the unRAID logs as reported here. Can't roll back as I didn't back up config since this is just a test server right now. But it's broken a bunch of my docker apps that use the share like Kavita, Jellyfin etc. 

1 hour ago, SteamedLobster said:

Can't roll back as I didn't back up config

Just downgrade - no need to change config etc:

image.png.7e58fc46346d8b6b60c173159e52c024.png

Same here and downgrade fixed it. Using remote mounts from a Qnap NAS.

Noticed it when i  got issues with Bazarr container not able to handle local subtitles.

Edited by ABEIDO
    1 hour ago, hawihoney said:

Just downgrade - no need to change config etc:

image.png.7e58fc46346d8b6b60c173159e52c024.png

Thank you! I am new to unRAID and missed this option.... This worked and now SMB is working correctly again. This seems to be a major regression.

23 minutes ago, SteamedLobster said:

This seems to be a major regression.

I don't rate that as a "major" regression. If you don't use remote SMB/CIFS mounts you won't even notice it. It's a little niggle IMHO. Something that appears in special circumstances.

16 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

I don't rate that as a "major" regression. If you don't use remote SMB/CIFS mounts you won't even notice it. It's a little niggle IMHO. Something that appears in special circumstances.

I think on a NAS anytime file sharing capabilities regress that's a major issue. 

• Upvote 1
    8 minutes ago, SteamedLobster said:

I think on a NAS anytime file sharing capabilities regress that's a major issue.

As I wrote - client mounts thru Unassigned Devices only AFAIK. Server/NAS shares work as usual AFAIK. The problem shows up if Unraid is the SMB client - not the server.

This is coming from completely off the wall.   I seem to remember that someone found a problem with 'spaces' after the end of a file/directory name a while back. 

6 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

As I wrote - client mounts thru Unassigned Devices only AFAIK. Server/NAS shares work as usual AFAIK. The problem shows up if Unraid is the SMB client - not the server.

For sure but for a lot of users it is both a SMB client and a server. As someone new to unRAID this was/is quite unnerving as my first ever upgrade experience. I am however very grateful for the super easy and quick down grade procedure which was awesome. Let's hope it's fixed soon. 

I've put some time into troubleshooting UD to see if there is something in the way UD is mounting remote shares.  There doesn't seem to be anything that UD does or can do to cause this problem.

I'm not one to play the blame game, but as we get into this I believe we are going to find it's related to a change in Samba or a Kernel change causing this.  In our beta testing for one of the recent releases, we found an issue with CIFS mounts where 'df' would not report size, used, and free space on a CIFS mount point.  When UD sees a CIFS mount with zero space, it disables the mount so UI browsing and other operations could not be performed.  UD assumes there is a problem with the mount.  It ended up being related to a 'stat' change in the Kernel failing on the CIFS mount.

As has been said, this is related to remote mounts through UD.  It does not affect the NAS file sharing functionality through SMB.  I understand that this is an important functionality for many users and for the moment, downgrading to 6.12.8 is the answer.  We will release a new version of Unraid as soon as we have an answer.

• Thanks 2