• server freezes 6.12.6

Grobalt
    • Minor

I updated from 6.12.4 to 6.12.6 during the weekend - same time i created a VM that was running in the background. So i don't know if the VM has any influence or not - not yet.

unraid is pingable, but nothing else. webinterface dead, ssh dead, even when i try to login with a keyboard and monitor, after entering  user root nothing happens and 60 seconds later it shows "login timed out after 60 seconds" - i was not asked for password after the user.

both crashes exactly same, had to do hard reboot.

Diagnostics attached

unraid-diagnostics-20231204-1712.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I have 1 VM runnning. it has been running for years.

It crashed first.
    I was accessing home assistant remotely on my phone.  it was working.
    I tried to open my Blue Iris app,  entered the wrong password a couple times (forgot i changed it)
    Then Blue Iris stopped responding.  
    Home Assistant and Emby were still working...
    ... Then they werent.
    could access Unraid GUI for a couple minutes....

.... Then I couldn't

syslog server turned on...  this look good?
    image.png.509c475e4838f3d844c179407e0795a7.png

Edited by TRusselo

I updated from 6.12.4 to 6.12.6 tonight and it won't reboot it hangs up I tried twice no luck flashed USB back to 6.12.4 and it booted right up. I have Intel Nics  and I have not made any changes and I don't run any VM's

For me since 6.12.6 the server gets stuck more often when running a process on simple docker containers like Jdownloader2 or Krussader. The CPU goes full overload even if I have the the containers pinned to only few cpu cores.

my system locked up again over the last hour.

My syslog folder is empty. I guess I didnt have it setup correct, like i was wondering in my previous post.

trying these settings now.... still not confident
    image.png.3d92a1aad539f171b973ebbc8e50ec1f.png

Edited by TRusselo

I'm seeing the same thing. After moving to 6.12.6, docker seems to be hanging/crashing about every day, and once I couldn't reboot the server, even from the command line, the reboot would just never finish - eventually had to power cycle the server. I will see if I can capture anything meaningful.

Edited by emerrill

I experienced similar, 6.12.4 to 6.12.6. Lost access to iGPU, server would not reboot or shutdown. Rollback to 6.12.4 and everything working as per normal.

Same here, was running 6.11.5 and updated to 6.12.4 in Sept, had crashes, so went back, 11.5 ran months without problem, updated to 12.6 few days ago and had crash today. 

Just setup syslog server, will post here when it happens again. 

i also am having my W10 VM freeze after updating to 6.12.6 rendering it unusable.  all dockers run w/o any issues.  i've turned on/off hyper-v, i've updated virt-io drivers, increased cpu cores by 50%, doubled the memory and still have the same issue.  rolled back to 6.11.5 and i'm running everything just fine again.  i need to be able to update in order to update the community apps.  please help fix this issue as it seems to be an issue across the board with others.  i've attached diagnostics i ran during the VM freeze on 6.12.6.

blacksheep2-diagnostics-20231209-1444.zip

Edited by sirhotness
    On 12/8/2023 at 11:17 AM, zaelnorth said:

Same here, was running 6.11.5 and updated to 6.12.4 in Sept, had crashes, so went back, 11.5 ran months without problem, updated to 12.6 few days ago and had crash today. 

Just setup syslog server, will post here when it happens again. 

i have diagnostics i also ran after rolling back.  if i need to post those please let me know, but i figured the diagnostics during the freeze would be more helpful.

21 hours ago, sirhotness said:

i also am having my W10 VM freeze after updating to 6.12.6 rendering it unusable.  all dockers run w/o any issues.  i've turned on/off hyper-v, i've updated virt-io drivers, increased cpu cores by 50%, doubled the memory and still have the same issue.  rolled back to 6.11.5 and i'm running everything just fine again.  i need to be able to update in order to update the community apps.  please help fix this issue as it seems to be an issue across the board with others.  i've attached diagnostics i ran during the VM freeze on 6.12.6.

blacksheep2-diagnostics-20231209-1444.zip

are your virtio drivers current and you are running old system model i440fx-5.1 6.12.6 can support upto 7.2 

8 hours ago, emerrill said:

Ok, for me I moved docker from macvlan to ipvlan, and I haven't had a similar freeze crash in a couple days since.

Great, did you have to change anything else in the containers or this was it?

17 hours ago, SimonF said:

are your virtio drivers current and you are running old system model i440fx-5.1 6.12.6 can support upto 7.2 

as far as i know, i updated the virtio drivers for the VM and that didnt work.  are you saying i need to update something else and if so, do you know where i can grab that update?  i will definitely try this and report back.

5 hours ago, zaelnorth said:

Great, did you have to change anything else in the containers or this was it?

No, I just stopped Docker, changed the setting, and restarted it. Of course that might have other network implications for some setups, but the things I'm running (TimeMachine, Plex, Unifi controller) didn't seem to care/notice the change.

4 minutes ago, zaelnorth said:

Great to hear that it was so simple. All the static IP assignments you had just carried over I assume?

I don't have separate IPs applied to any of my docker containers - they all are accessed at my main server IP. Sorry I can't be any help with that one.

thanks for the help on this. im going to try these solutions as soon as i can. this is clearly a major problem, multiple threads on it with people experiencing these issues. i wonder if they'll release a new build, etc.

I have an similiar behaviour with 6.12.4 or newer, now back on 6.12.3 again for the third(?) time.
    the OS just freezes, can't access it in any way.

The logs are useless(?), at least I can't find any clues in them. :| hoping someone has found a solution that might work for me also. following this thread.
    I will change from macvlan to ipvlan today and try 6.12.6 again.

Edited by ambreswe

Same issue here.

6.12.4 was running for months without any issue, but since 6.12.6 I’ve already had 3 crashes in ~1 week…

I have juste enabled syslog server, will see if it can help

5 hours ago, ambreswe said:

I have an similiar behaviour with 6.12.4 or newer, now back on 6.12.3 again for the third(?) time.
    the OS just freezes, can't access it in any way.

The logs are useless(?), at least I can't find any clues in them. :| hoping someone has found a solution that might work for me also. following this thread.
    I will change from macvlan to ipvlan today and try 6.12.6 again.

please let us know if this works. couple of people have posted this works. if it does im going to have to try this myself.

Just now, sirhotness said:

please let us know if this works. couple of people have posted this works. if it does im going to have to try this myself.

I'll update when I know more :)