Help! Server crashes and kicks drives out of array often.

chnowl

Hi everybody, I'm new to this and a little lost and tired of pulling my hair out. This is mainly a plex server.

Issues:

1. At least once a week, the server stops responding to anything except the power button shutting it down. my monitor is just a black screen until I push power, and then the command line comes back up and goes through the shutdown sequence. Can't ping the server through the web interface to do anything in this scenario.

2. This last week, I had two drives get repeatedly kicked off the array for write issues even though SMART says the drives are fine. I've replaced those drives now.

3. I've had it twice now where drive six has said that it is unmountable because there's no filesystem on it. It is lying. I was just copying data to it and would like it back please.

Thanks for looking

tower-diagnostics-20201216-1558.zip

37 minutes ago, chnowl said:

2. This last week, I had two drives get repeatedly kicked off the array for write issues even though SMART says the drives are fine. I've replaced those drives now.

I see you are using a LSI HBA does it have sufficient airflow over it or do you attached a fan to it?

Please note that this controllers get pretty toasty if you have no or at least normal PC case airflow over them and the like to write data the "wrong" way if the are too hot...

I'm using a define 7, so not the greatest for airflow. I can put another fan blowing directly on the lsi card and hopefully that'll keep the crashes down?

In the mean time, any way to get my data back from the drive that went down (the no filesystem drive on disk 6.  Disk 7 was empty so not sure why it took it down but maybe due to overheating lsi?)

oh, @JorgeB I didn't even see that they were my two drives connected to the motherboard. I did a quick google search and while I'm not totally sure this will solve it, I moved the two drives to sata ports 2 & 3. This the correct response?

Thank you for the link @jonathanm! Read up and was able to get all the data off the drive and now I'm rebuilding the array. I've also got a 140mm fan twist tied into place blowing directly on my lsi card so hopefully I stop crashing...