one problem after another

Max

25 minutes ago, Max said:

@JorgeB should i try this now.

btrfs restore -v /dev/sdc1 /mnt/disk2/restore

and i think i will have switch disk2 with disk1 in this command, right ?

okay so that command gives me this error

root@Unraid:~# btrfs restore -v /dev/sdc1 /mnt/disk1/restore
parent transid verify failed on 592523722752 wanted 183547 found 16228
Ignoring transid failure
WARNING: could not setup extent tree, skipping it
Couldn't setup device tree
Could not open root, trying backup super
Ignoring transid failure
Ignoring transid failure

even trying -vi option ends up with same error.

3 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Not much more I can help then, you can try the mailing list or IRC like mentioned in the FAQ.

wouldn't just formating my disk 2 and then rebuilding it with parity, would work and should i try those check btrfs check repair option.

I've never used it. Only mentioned it since it seems to be the only choice for dealing with all the filesystems Unraid supports. Others seem to have had success. I think it lets you see what it can recover for free but makes you pay for the software to do the actual recovery. Pretty sure it would want to write the recovered files to another disk.

and why wouldn't just formating my disk 2 on some other machine and then pluging it back as new drive and rebuilding won't work as parity still can be used to recover my data right ? 

and instead of paying for software can't i just get a new drive and rebuild my data like as if drive 2 has failed

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

If you haven't completed the rebuild it is already emulating. If you have completed the rebuild then if you make it emulate again it will just emulate what you already have.

well i guess now i will have to source my media files like movies and tv shows again and fortunately  i still have copy of all my college projects on my laptop.

well thanks for all help.

well i guess i just learned parity doesn't equal to backup the hard way.

for future safety i guess creating a seperate backup is the only option. right ??

I always have multiple backups of everything important and irreplaceable. That will all fit on 2TB externals which I store offsite.

My movies and so on aren't important, but, I also have an older Unraid build I start up infrequently and I use that as a backup server to make backups of much of the unimportant stuff occasionally, though I'm not nearly as diligent about that.

Sorry we got to this point. The reason I wanted to try to get your flash backup without assigning parity is because I didn't want to risk assigning a data disk to a parity slot. Apparently that is a bad idea with btrfs. I don't use btrfs for the array since it seems more difficult to recover from problems than XFS and I haven't really studied the benefits btrfs provides.

If you aren't booting from USB2 port I recommend it since some people seem to have flash problems when booted with USB3 port and USB3 speed doesn't really gain you anything for the Unraid boot flash since it is only accessed at boot time and when you make changes in the webUI. The Unraid OS itself runs in RAM after it is loaded at boot time.

Obviously having flash backup on a system you can't boot without the flash backup is not the best approach. You can always download a current backup of flash from Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup. It really only needs backing up when you make some change in the webUI that you want to be able to restore. Disk assignment changes are the most important, but all settings in the webUI are stored on flash.

Unraid is working on a feature to automatically store flash backups to their cloud and I have been testing that lately so I am not using CA Backup for flash backups anymore, but when I was using it, I had the backups go to another computer using Unassigned Devices remote share feature.

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

Sorry we got to this point.

no need to apologize u were only trying to help me. but just so u know that

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

The reason I wanted to try to get your flash backup without assigning parity is because I didn't want to risk assigning a data disk to a parity slot.

would not have been an issue cause my disks are perfectly lined the way the are on unraid main page so that wouldn't have been an issue.

10 minutes ago, trurl said:

If you aren't booting from USB2

i am using usb2

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

Obviously having flash backup on a system you can't boot without the flash backup is not the best approach.

yeah i know that was dumb of me.

but lets forget all that as now i have even bigger problem.

i was thinking that after a reboot i start by formating my disk and see what all i have lost and start downloading stuff that i have lost but now i cant even access my web gui

IMG_20201219_202427.jpg

• Max changed the title to suddenly web gui said bye bye

Sort of a comedy of errors in a way. The emulated disk was mountable before we had to try to recover your flash backup, and not including parity made the emulation unmountable. Another reason it is better to rebuild to another disk and keep the original just in case. And maybe we could have noticed the emulated disk was no longer mountable before starting the rebuild. Etc.

Those last few lines in your photo where it is having problems reading ident.cfg make me think a flash problem.

15 minutes ago, Max said:

cant even access my web gui

Do you mean you can't access webUI from a browser on another computer?

One problem doesn't go away completely and another comes knocking at my door.

Now VM is behaving strange suddenly it has decided that from now it won't need vbios of my GTX 1070 ti it will work without it. But the real problem is now VM is sluggish and if I remove my GPU drivers it's working normally but as soon as I install GPU drivers it starts acting sluggish again.

• Max changed the title to one problem after another
34 minutes ago, Max said:

One problem doesn't go away completely and another comes knocking at my door.

Now VM is behaving strange suddenly it has decided that from now it won't need vbios of my GTX 1070 ti it will work without it. But the real problem is now VM is sluggish and if I remove my GPU drivers it's working normally but as soon as I install GPU drivers it starts acting sluggish again.

fixed it by updating to rc2 from rc1 but disk temps are not showing up now.

unraid-diagnostics-20201220-0030.zip

Edited by Max