6.8.3 - Mover not moving (Solved)

Hello!

New to Unraid and absolutely loving it so far!  Thanks for this awesome piece of software.

My mover does not appear to be moving.  I currently have about 27GB of appdata on the cache drive and the mover isn't offloading those files to the array.  I've browsed all of the drives in the array and none of the system folders appear (appdata, domains, system).

Manually invoking the mover results in instant "mover: started mover: finished" log entries.  The mover is scheduled as default to run every morning but it's not moving anything.  From reviewing previous posts I've tried:

Stop VM Manager and Docker, then manually move - no change

Update something in all the shares and click apply, then manually move - no change

Stop the array, change something in the global shares settings, start the array and manually move - no change

The only thing I haven't done is restart the entire system.  Logs are attached.  Thank you for your assistance!

-Howdy

tower-diagnostics-20210116-0802.zip

Edited by BCCHowdy

JorgeB - Thanks for this explanation, that clears up the behavior.

Constructor - I realize the cache drive should be used for speed and frequent writes, but the cache drive is not protected from failure in any way like the array is.  My thinking was if the cache is offloaded nightly to the array then I have somewhat of a backup of this information protected on the array should the cache drive fail.  Perhaps this is flawed thinking since files in use are not moved and this would be a partial copy and potentially useless in restoration efforts.  If my thinking is flawed then what would be the recommended practice to backup the appdata contents to protect against failure of the cache drive?

12 minutes ago, BCCHowdy said:

JorgeB - Thanks for this explanation, that clears up the behavior.

Constructor - I realize the cache drive should be used for speed and frequent writes, but the cache drive is not protected from failure in any way like the array is.  My thinking was if the cache is offloaded nightly to the array then I have somewhat of a backup of this information protected on the array should the cache drive fail.  Perhaps this is flawed thinking since files in use are not moved and this would be a partial copy and potentially useless in restoration efforts.  If my thinking is flawed then what would be the recommended practice to backup the appdata contents to protect against failure of the cache drive?

Use the CA Backup plugin for any docker/container related files.

• BCCHowdy changed the title to 6.8.3 - Mover not moving (Solved)