What format for ripping?

Mailman74

OK, so some use MKV compressed, some uncompressed.

What would be quite interesting too is what software you're using for organizing the video (audio, tv series, ...) stuff?

I use Ember Media Manager for most of the tasks (including renaming the files and scraping infos, fanart, posters, ...) as the files are stored with my movie files.

Only question just currently arose (and don't laugh, please): My wife was asking if the "erotic section" of my large collection is also to be ripped to the new server. Well, I was absolutely sure to do so, but now I'm concerned - how do I seperate the movies from the hardcore stuff? Does XBMC support something like genre filtering?  :-[

Until a useable solution approaches I keep the fingers off my 2000+ adult movies - still enough other movies to rip...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope XBMC doesn't seperate, but you can attach a Genre to each of your Movies and filter when you look throu them, but everybody would see all your movies as they scanned through them.

Or you can put all of your movies you don't want seen by others on your server in its own folder, but tell XBMC not to scan. All you have to do then is when you want to see those movies is deselect the library feature and only browse thru file view. I do that with some of my kids "Kiddy Shows" and some of my Home Videos that don't scrape.

Nope XBMC doesn't seperate, but you can attach a Genre to each of your Movies and filter when you look throu them, but everybody would see all your movies as they scanned through them.

Or you can put all of your movies you don't want seen by others on your server in its own folder, but tell XBMC not to scan. All you have to do then is when you want to see those movies is deselect the library feature and only browse thru file view. I do that with some of my kids "Kiddy Shows" and some of my Home Videos that don't scrape.

You can use "smart playlists", user-profiles, and custom genre in xbmc.

(I set up a Christmas-movies genre, and a Halloween-movies genre) I don't have a need for the smart playlists, but that in combination with the user-profiles is how I've read you can segregate your non-adult movies from your adult-movies.

You can use "smart playlists", user-profiles, and custom genre in xbmc.

(I set up a Christmas-movies genre, and a Halloween-movies genre) I don't have a need for the smart playlists, but that in combination with the user-profiles is how I've read you can segregate your non-adult movies from your adult-movies.

Ah, well, "User Profiles"... thanks for showing me the direction. As soon as the ordered hardware arrives I dig into and report back.

I have all of mine in uncompressed MKVs produced by MakeMKV (DVDs, HD-DVDs, and Blu-rays)*.  Easiest and quickest way to rip the HD stuff in Mac OS X, plus keeps all of the audio tracks, chapters, and subtitle tracks I want.  Plus, storage is cheap, and looking into the future, I don't want to have to re-rip videos I had encoded in the past.  Also, DVDs are deleted when an HD equivalent is purchased (with a few exceptions such as Lucas adding more unneeded junk into his 20-30 year old movies :-).

Playback is through XBMC on an older re-purposed Mac Mini with upgraded CPU (2.0 Core 2 Duo) and a CrystalHD card in place of the Wi-Fi card.  Goes out through DVI to HDMI to a 50" Panny Plasma.  At this point, the only thing I'm losing in the process is the TrueHD and other HD audios since the Mini will only send out audio through toslink.

My movies are all organized manually (still looking for the best way to automate this), and my TV Shows (not rips) are all handled by Sick Beard.

*One item to note is that some of my movies are muxed into m2ts files using TSMuxer.  The reason for this is that currently VC-1 videos within MKV containers cause issues with my CrystalHD+XBMC setup.  Still looking to find the cause.  Not sure if blame is on the CrystalHD drivers, XBMC, or the way MakeMKV rips VC-1 videos into the MKVs.  Once the problem is resolved, those movies will be re-ripped into MKVs since the muxing to m2ts causes me to lose my subtitle tracks (or muxed back into MKVs with the subtitle tracks added back in...whichever turns out to be easiest).

Also, DVDs are deleted when an HD equivalent is purchased (with a few exceptions such as Lucas adding more unneeded junk into his 20-30 year old movies :-).

We need a clean, simple way to edit out the garbage scenes in the upcoming Blu-Ray sets, because I totally agree with this.

Archived