[SOLVED] Parity Drive Errors

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Parity Drive Errors
On 3/8/2021 at 7:34 PM, KeithAbbott said:

With the new LSI 9207-8i controller, comes a new question.  I think the firmware version is 18.xx.xx.xx, so I am thinking that I should be upgrading the firmware to 20.00.07.00.  I am running it in IT mode, and from researching on this forum, it looks like I should probably remove/erase the BIOS, which would speed up the boot process a bit.

In summary, upgrade the firmware and remove the BIOS.  Any cautions against doing that?  Any guidance either for or against?

So my weekend project for today was to upgrade the firmware and remove the BIOS on my LSI 9207-81 controller card.  Upgrading the firmware was easy-peasy; however, removing the BIOS was a bit more of a challenge.  I had to try multiple workstations, and finally found an old non-UEFI machine that allowed me to boot into FreeDOS and run the sas2flsh command.  Glad that's done...

3 hours ago, KeithAbbott said:

So my weekend project for today was to upgrade the firmware and remove the BIOS on my LSI 9207-81 controller card.  Upgrading the firmware was easy-peasy; however, removing the BIOS was a bit more of a challenge.  I had to try multiple workstations, and finally found an old non-UEFI machine that allowed me to boot into FreeDOS and run the sas2flsh command.  Glad that's done...

Yeah, that's the trouble, you need a desktop that predates UEFI to use sas2flsh.exe, or a motherboard that uses a very early version of EUFI that will work with sas2flash.efi.  My 12 year old desktop now runs Chromium OS for my son's 1st grade at home learning.  Many evenings after he's asleep I have gone in there and flashed LSI cards with a DOS flash drive 😅.  Two servers ago I ran a E3-1285v4 with a SuperMicro board and that UEFI worked with sas2flash.efi.  I was shocked after I upgraded and sas2flash.efi didn't work anymore.

craigr

• 4 weeks later...