does unraid 6.9 support mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx eth card?[solved]

now I'm using unraid 6.8.2, few days ago I bought new pcie device : Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx MCX4121A-XCAT with dual 10G network,

then I found it doesn't work in unraid, I use this cmd to look for detail and I successed

dmesg | more | grep 04:00

the msg shows me system couldn't identify the device's firmware which is 14.28.2006, unraid just allow fw below 14.14.1100.

the I go to Mellanox.com, the eralyest fw version is 14.18.2000, I've tested and failed again. 

I've seen the update notes of unraid 6.8.3 which is no update about drivers

SO I wonder know if unraid 6.9 release will support , then I can wait and update, or change to other system

Thanks A lot

Edited by stepehn311
32 minutes ago, stepehn311 said:

now I'm using unraid 6.8.2, few days ago I bought new pcie device : Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx MCX4121A-XCAT with dual 10G network,

then I found it doesn't work in unraid, I use this cmd to look for detail and I successed

dmesg | more | grep 04:00

the msg shows me system couldn't identify the device's firmware which is 14.28.2006, unraid just allow fw below 14.14.1100.

the I go to Mellanox.com, the eralyest fw version is 14.18.2000, I've tested and failed again. 

I've seen the update notes of unraid 6.8.3 which is no update about drivers

SO I wonder know if unraid 6.9 release will support , then I can wait and update, or change to other system

Thanks A lot

Is the adapter in InfiniBand or Ethernet mode?

The adapter have to be in ethernet mode to work, have no problem with my Mellanox ConnectX-3 (it also uses the mlx4_core).

mlx4_core             270336  1 mlx4_en

EDIT: I also have to say I'm on 6.9.0RC2 and have my Mellanox Firmware Tools Plugin installed (you should be able to switch between the modes with this tool and also to flash another firmware).

Thanks !

And this Adapter is always working in Ethernet mode.

I've tried burn in these firmwares:

14_17_2020

14_18_2000

14_27_1016

14_28_2006

14_29_1016

It shows me the same error msg, and I use lshw to check device's status:

lshw -c network

There's no valid driver works , just like my video card (HPE Mircoserver Gen , AMD x3421)

Something funny that the device isn't running by driver : mlx4_core & mlx4_en , but by driver : mlx5_core

I hesitate to update system to 6.9rc2 a little, that I'm waiting for a stable release version to avoid damaging my data.

4 hours ago, ich777 said:

Mellanox Firmware Tools

You mean if I update to 6.9rc2 then I can install this MFT from mellanox official? because I didn't see it in Community Applications

2 minutes ago, stepehn311 said:

And this Adapter is always working in Ethernet mode.

I think this adapter has two modes or am I wrong one is InfiniBand and one is Ethernet.

3 minutes ago, stepehn311 said:

You mean if I update to 6.9rc2 then I can install this MFT from mellanox official? because I didn't see it in Community Applications

You have to upgrade to 6.9.0rc2 first then you will see my Plugin in the CA App, these are the open source MFT tools that I compile for every release of Unraid (then you can access the Mellanox commands from Unraid itself):

grafik.png.88097ccafb8d229893dda1edeb5220e2.png

grafik.png.b0e541ab6369d4274b3680bb0f9ce9ce.png

18 hours ago, BRiT said:

That's a pure Catch-22 if this card is the only one you're using for networking, right? You can't get networking working with it until the plugin is installed but can't get plugin installed until the card is working.

Luckly It's impossible, because there's an on-board ethernet . My computer has only one pci-e 3.0 x 8 , and no more power cable for hdd, so I've no more choice to update this system.

And Thanks for responsing my question so quickly and  accurate , I'll try to update 6.9rc2.

By the way, Is there any schedule about final release of 6.9? I think I'm not the only one waiting for it . ^_^

• stepehn311 changed the title to does unraid 6.9 support mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx eth card?[solved]
  • 1 month later...