April 21Apr 21 Author 11 hours ago, rcollins said:I have x5 6tb SAS drives that plug into a backplane that has SATA ports out for each driveCan you clarify this? You cannot use SAS drives with a SATA backplane; you can use SATA drives with a SAS backplane.
April 21Apr 21 9 hours ago, JorgeB said:Can you clarify this? You cannot use SAS drives with a SATA backplane; you can use SATA drives with a SAS backplane.Apologies for my ignorance, this is the nas I got https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQJ6BCB7?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1Here is a photo of the backplane it uses.
April 21Apr 21 Author That's fine; a SAS backplane can also handle SATA disks.As for a controller, I would go with a JMB585 (5 ports) or Asmedia1166 (6 ports); both exist in PCI or M.2 form factors.
April 21Apr 21 And to clarify, those controllers will work with the SAS drives I have in my backplane?
April 21Apr 21 Author 21 minutes ago, rcollins said:And to clarify, those controllers will work with the SAS drives I have in my backplane?Nope, sorry, I completely forgot the devices are SAS, you need an HBA, like an LSI 9300-8i or similar.
April 21Apr 21 Yeah, that is the problem I have been running into. I believe the ones mentioned above are all PCIe x8, and I only have an x4 and an m.2. Otherwise, I think I thinki will use a 9300-8i in m.2 to x16 adapter. Edited April 21Apr 21 by rcollins
Wednesday at 02:09 PM5 days On 12/22/2023 at 4:37 PM, Jannik_ said:OK, I'll order it next month and report : )Did you ever buy?Did the card work?Or did you choose an alternative that worked?I purchased a Glotrends PA20 that utilizes ASM2812 chipset.My BIOS and unRAID detect the card. Neither detects the NVME drive in the card.I am at the beginning of troubleshooting.I have a Supermicro C7H170-M motherboardunRAID 7.3.2
Thursday at 04:58 PM4 days On 9/23/2026 at 10:09 AM, OriginalFlavor said:Did you ever buy?Did the card work?Or did you choose an alternative that worked?I purchased a Glotrends PA20 that utilizes ASM2812 chipset.My BIOS and unRAID detect the card. Neither detects the NVME drive in the card.I am at the beginning of troubleshooting.I have a Supermicro C7H170-M motherboardunRAID 7.3.2I got the Glotrends PA 20 to work.Both slots had to have a NVMe drive inserted, then motherboard and OS recognized the drives.See https://forums.unraid.net/topic/200668-solved-glotrends-pa20-pcie-x4-card-using-asm2812-chipset-detected-but-nvme-drive-installed-in-card-not-detected/
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.