Upgrading from 5.0.6 to Current Stable Build - Have Questions

I am finally upgrading my UnRaid server that ran without issue since 2014. 

I'm now running into WebGui crashes and Windows SMB compatibility issues. 

I downloaded the current stable build (didn't purchase the license yet) and all those issues are gone.

I assigned all the discs, 1 parity and 3 data discs. 

I obviously can't start the array yet because I don't have the license...  Buying that tonight. 

There is a red sentence next to the parity disc that states all data will overwritten.

The last thing I did on my 5.0.6 build was run a parity check. All was well everywhere.

Is there a a way for me to start the upgraded version of UnRaid and keep the parity disc untouched? 

I'm new to this so please excuse my ignorance. 

I added the app tab from "squid", but there are no download buttons there yet. I'm guessing it's because Dockers is not running yet?

This is all a little confusing to me at this point.

Thanks for your kindness and help!

Did you have a licence for v5?    If so then it is worth pointing out that the licence will also be valid for use with v6.

34 minutes ago, The_Chemist said:

s there a a way for me to start the upgraded version of UnRaid and keep the parity disc untouched? 

You can tick the ‘parity Is valid’ checkbox before starting the array.   Despite any warning messages that will leave parity unchanged.   You still might want to run a parity check to confirm it is valid.

Have you read the wiki article on Upgrading to v6 ?

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Did you have a licence for v5?    If so then it is worth pointing out that the licence will also be valid for use with v6.

You can tick the ‘parity Is valid’ checkbox before starting the array.   Despite any warning messages that will leave parity unchanged.   You still might want to run a parity check to confirm it is valid.

Have you read the wiki article on Upgrading to v6 ?

I do have a license for V5, but have no idea how to migrate it into V6. I have the plus license. 

Is the "parity is valid" check box on the main page with drive assignments?

I had 2 plugins on my V5 system. Sonarr and SABNZBD.

I'm was trying to download them again from apps, but at this point I have no download buttons. Just the repository. 

Thanks for your help!

3 minutes ago, The_Chemist said:

I do have a license for V5, but have no idea how to migrate it into V6. I have the plus license. 

I had 2 plugins on my V5 system. Sonarr and SABNZBD.

I'm was trying to download them again from apps, but at this point I have no download buttons. Just the repository. 

Thanks for your help!

I should have mentioned, I am going to use a new 8gb Cruzer Fit flash drive for the V6 upgrade instead of the old V5 flash drive. Just in-case because of its age it dies...

Just now, The_Chemist said:

The Plus licence for v6 allows for more attached devices than under v5 you will be glad to hear :)  You should have a .key file for the licence.   I think under v5 it could be in either the root of the flash drive or the ‘config’ folder on the drive.   In v6 it needs to be inside the ‘config’ folder.    It is just a case of copying the file into that location for it to be used.   If you are using the same flash drive as you used for v5 then the licence is valid for that drive.    If using a new flash drive then when you boot Unraid it will take you through the automated process for transferring the licence to that drive (which also blocklist the old one).

6 minutes ago, The_Chemist said:

yes, next to the button for starting the array.

6 minutes ago, The_Chemist said:

had 2 plugins on my V5 system. Sonarr and SABNZBD.

under v6 you should use the docker container versions of these.   You can get them via the Apps tab which will show if you have installed the Community Applications plug-in (an essential item under v6).

8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The Plus licence for v6 allows for more attached devices than under v5 you will be glad to hear :)  You should have a .key file for the licence.   I think under v5 it could be in either the root of the flash drive or the ‘config’ folder on the drive.   In v6 it needs to be inside the ‘config’ folder.    It is just a case of copying the file into that location for it to be used.   If you are using the same flash drive as you used for v5 then the licence is valid for that drive.    If using a new flash drive then when you boot Unraid it will take you through the automated process for transferring the licence to that drive (which also blocklist the old one).

yes, next to the button for starting the array.

under v6 you should use the docker container versions of these.   You can get them via the Apps tab which will show if you have installed the Community Applications plug-in (an essential item under v6).

Thanks again!  What sort of file an I looking for that contains the licenses key?

A buddy of mine built my original system, this is why I'm at a loss now trying to struggle through this upgrade. At least I'll learn as I go. 

I did install the apps from "squid's" link. But, how do I tell if the version is a docker container version?  I don't even have download buttons at this point.

I.think some files may have gotten corrupted on the old flash drive. That's why I'm starting over with a new flash drive. 

47 minutes ago, The_Chemist said:

Thanks again!  What sort of file an I looking for that contains the licenses key?

it is normally a file with a .key extension.

49 minutes ago, The_Chemist said:

did install the apps from "squid's" link. But, how do I tell if the version is a docker container version?  I don't even have download buttons at this point.

the easiest way is to see if it is listed under the Plugins or the Docker tabs in the GUI.   It would have been downloaded at the point you selected it from the Apps tab.  

9 minutes ago, itimpi said:

it is normally a file with a .key extension.

the easiest way is to see if it is listed under the Plugins or the Docker tabs in the GUI.   It would have been downloaded at the point you selected it from the Apps tab.  

At work, but looked at the copy of my V5 USB that I saved on my Synology NAS and found the Plus Key under config.  

Screenshot_20210129-121110_DS file.jpg

Another question if someone would be kind enough to help:

When I get the new V6 up and running with my license key on a new flash drive using the flash creator tool, I will have to re-create shares. 

How will the system know what recorded media on my drives belongs to which share?

I have shares on V5: TV Shows, MOVIES, ect.  As long as I type the share name exactly as it was on V5, is there a watermark or something attached to the recorded media that lets the system know the already recorded TV Shows belongs to the new share called TV Shows?

I don't want to make a big mesd out of everything!

Thanks. 

37 minutes ago, The_Chemist said:

re-create shares. 

How will the system know what recorded media on my drives belongs to which share?

You won't have to recreate any shares. User Shares are simply the top level folders on all cache and array. Unraid doesn't have to figure out anything since it is just combining the top level folders on all disks. Any top level folder is part of a user share named for the folder. Even if you don't create a user share in the webUI, any top level folder is automatically part of a user share. Any user share you haven't made settings for will have default settings. These settings are stored in config/shares folder on flash as .cfg files named for each share, so you can probably just copy these from your old flash.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

You won't have to recreate any shares. User Shares are simply the top level folders on all cache and array. Unraid doesn't have to figure out anything since it is just combining the top level folders on all disks. Any top level folder is part of a user share named for the folder. Even if you don't create a user share in the webUI, any top level folder is automatically part of a user share. Any user share you haven't made settings for will have default settings. These settings are stored in config/shares folder on flash as .cfg files named for each share, so you can probably just copy these from your old flash.

Thanks very much for the reply. 

I found that out after I transfered my Plus license key over to the new V6.  

Now the trick of the tail is going to be installing Sonarr and SABNZBD in docker containers. Docker didn't exist in my old version V5. 

I'm going to have to watch some video tutorials and learn how. I also need Sonarr to import all of my TV Shows that are already on the discs. Hope that's not too difficult.

After you get through your current list, you need to add drive file system conversion into the mix. ReiserFS doesn't handle large drives very well, anything over 2TB starts to get pretty bad. How full are your current drives, and how fast do think you may start to fill them? You can't convert in place, you must have an empty drive to format and then copy things from drive to drive. There is a sticky thread on conversion techniques.

18 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

After you get through your current list, you need to add drive file system conversion into the mix. ReiserFS doesn't handle large drives very well, anything over 2TB starts to get pretty bad. How full are your current drives, and how fast do think you may start to fill them? You can't convert in place, you must have an empty drive to format and then copy things from drive to drive. There is a sticky thread on conversion techniques.

Oh geez, now I'm feeling really inadequate at this!  

I have one 3T Parity drive, three 3T data drives and a 500gb SSD for cache. 

So far I only have 0.8T used. I didn't use the V5 unraid server much. I plan to start using a lot more now that I have V6 somewhat up and running. 

Watching a TV show right now. 

I will definitely have to check the sticky on file system conversion. That's where I could really screw things up but good. 

I'm also trying to find out what all shares I should have or will need on the cache drive. 

This was originally a core i3 PC

that I built. Then my buddy convinced me to convert it into an UnRaid Server. He did most of the footwork on the conversion, software-wise, Now I need to learn how to get through this all. 

I'm so appreciative of all the friendly advice and help here on this forum. 

You guys are the best!  

3 minutes ago, The_Chemist said:

I have one 3T Parity drive, three 3T data drives and a 500gb SSD for cache. 

So far I only have 0.8T used.

You are in great shape. Now is the time to act, before you start filling things up.

In a nutshell, you need to empty a drive, so pick the drive with the most free, and use whatever method you are most comfortable with to get everything to another location, and format that drive to XFS or BTRFS. Then copy everything onto that freshly formatted drive, and format the rest of the drives. Since everything you have easily fits on one drive, this will be a piece of cake compared to some people.

Skim through the sticky thread on conversion, and post back here with specific questions about your setup.

Start by going to the Shares tab and clicking the compute all button, take a screenshot after it finishes calculating and either digest what it's telling you or paste it here and ask.

42 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

You are in great shape. Now is the time to act, before you start filling things up.

In a nutshell, you need to empty a drive, so pick the drive with the most free, and use whatever method you are most comfortable with to get everything to another location, and format that drive to XFS or BTRFS. Then copy everything onto that freshly formatted drive, and format the rest of the drives. Since everything you have easily fits on one drive, this will be a piece of cake compared to some people.

Skim through the sticky thread on conversion, and post back here with specific questions about your setup.

Start by going to the Shares tab and clicking the compute all button, take a screenshot after it finishes calculating and either digest what it's telling you or paste it here and ask.

I haven't added any apps yet. I definitely want to set up Sonarr and SABNZBD. I'm not sure how to set the paths for them in docker. Spaceinvader One has a Youtube video on the subject. 

I clicked on the compute all button, but I'm really not sure what exacty it is telling me. 

I want to make sure I have all the shares I need on the cache drive. For the few apps that I'll start out with. 

I'll attach a screenshot of the main page and the compute all page under shares. 

Thanks!

20210129_214326.jpg

20210129_213250.jpg

I recommend dealing with the cache drive first.

Set appdata apps domains and system to cache: yes,

go into settings, docker and vm manager, and disable them both, once that is done you shouldn't have a Docker or VMS tab in the gui,

run mover, check the shares page compute all and make sure none have cache: entries,

then change the format type on the cache drive to xfs if you only ever plan to have a single drive for cache, btrfs if you plan to add a drive for redundancy in the cache pool.

format the cache drive, make sure that's the only drive set to unmountable before checking format

set appdata apps domains and system to cache: prefer

run mover

enable docker and vm manager