We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

expanding array and replacing drives. problem with array

GaryK

I am expanding the array .   added a 6 TB drive and moved the data from drive 2  (3 TB)  to drive 5 ( 6 TB)  pulled out drive 2,  then plugged it back in.    upon starting Unraid,  it said it needed to rebuild the array which I let it do.   It was uneeded since the drive was emply,  but I let it go anyway.     It completed,  everything looked good.  So I removed drive 1 (3 TB) and replaced it with a 4 TB drive.   Then I got the 2 disks having problems,   Both disk 1 and disk 2.      So I do not know what to do to fix this problem.     2  disks that are not working .    When I started the array   the rebuild started,    but how to rebuild with 2 bad disks both emulated ????   so I stopped the array and now I need a soluton.

I am concerned about data loss.    Disk 1 has  2.5 TB of data.    I am thinking of using an Ubuntu  PC to read and copy the data to a different disk  as a backup.   Since  windows can't read an XFS disk.   

enclosed are some pictures of my array.    Please help.

unraid Array - drives-1a.jpg

Diags are after rebooting so we can't see what happened, but disk2 appears to be having issues, you should run an extended SMART test, if OK do a new config with it and old disk1 (assuming still available) and re-sync parity, if not OK do a new config without disk2 (or suing a new disk), since it has no data.

update on my unraid problem.      Both disks   Disks 1 and Disk 2  have no file system on the disk.    The XFS partitions are gone.

Disk 2 had no data so not a problem.     BUT disk  1  has  2 TB of data I want to recover.    Is there a way to recover this data ??

Could the data be recovered or the partition repaired in either  a unraid or an ubuntu system ?

I ran smart tests on both drives,  both are OK.   

I have 2  4 TB disks that I want to use in place of the 2  3 TB disks.    So I can retplace both disks with the  4 TB disks and then do a New Config.   

Will this rebuild my array with whats on disks 3 , 4 and  5   with disks 1 and 2 empty ?     Since I am a newbie   and never did a New Config,   can you run by me the complete process.

Tremendous thanks for you assistance.