Preclear running really slow on one drive but no SMART errors [SOLVED]

bk101

Recently jumped hard on to the UNRAID bandwagon and I'm loving it so far, learnt a lot since first starting to use it, I've run in to an issue and was hoping someone could help.

I'm running preclear on a few drives and one is currently at 97% (pre-read) but going as slow as 1mbps every so often, there appears to be no SMART errors or any indication as to why, I've tried to have read through the logs but I'm not familiar enough to spot the issue, nothing obvious jumps out. Could someone please help me out?

The slow speeds is on a brand new 8TB Toshiba drive device SDG

I know SDI has some CRC errors which I believe is due to the HBA, waiting for these preclears to finish before I further investigate that

Also SDO has 4632 current pending sectors, which I believe means the drive is failing. Can someone confirm?

I've attached the syslog.

Edited by bk101
On 2/11/2021 at 11:20 PM, trurl said:

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

Attached, thanks. It seems like the pre-read is finally done, but it took 3-4 times longer than another identical disk. It's like it gets slower towards the end. It's currently zeroing at normal speeds, but will be interesting to see if it slows down towards the end again. This disk was actually my parity drive before and didn't have any issues with the first parity build but later on when it did a parity check it was this slow towards the end as well.

Edited by bk101
44 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

sgd has issues, doesn't mean it's going to fail soon but it's not performing normally, also more likely that in time those slow sector will result in bad sectors, if you can return and get a new one I would.

Ok, no worries. They're still under warranty so will contact manufacturer to arrange a replacement.

• bk101 changed the title to Preclear running really slow on one drive but no SMART errors [SOLVED]