error removing drive from array

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks @jonathanm for the response. It's exactly what I was after. I added a drive to the array instead of the 'Pool Devices' for a cache drive. I now have an unwanted 'unassigned' disk similar to @muncc22. I have 1 parity + 7 disks + 1 unassigned disk. The 7 disks have data. The unassigned disk has 14GB of data that I assume to be parity data. I have not added new data since I committed the error.

When I set up the new config, assign drives and rebuild parity, will I  retain all data in the 7 disks?

Given the scenario, should I use the 'Preserve current assignment' or manually set out the new config disks? 

Sorry, I am a newbie in this particular area. I just wanted some assurance before I hit the button. Thank you for your advice. Cheers. cL

image.png.bd45ccc273ef740cd1719fb5edf35b50.png

image.thumb.png.c61ac29be6f2a3814d2747ed0c96043d.png

Edited by cliewmc01
13 hours ago, cliewmc01 said:

The unassigned disk has 14GB of data that I assume to be parity data.

Data disks don't contain parity data, only the parity disk has parity. That 14GB is filesystem overhead from formatting the disk as XFS (or whatever you used). And all that format information is now included by parity, so parity must be rebuilt if you remove that disk.

When I set up the new config, assign drives and rebuild parity, will I  retain all data in the 7 disks?

Yes, New Config takes all assigned disks just as they are with all their data, then (optionally and by default) rebuilds parity.

Preserve current assignment

Preserve All. That will keep all the assignments just as they are as a starting point for making changes. It will then take you to a page without the array started to allow you to make any changes needed. Then, starting the array will rebuild parity. Don't check the Parity Valid box because it isn't without that other disk you accidentally added so you must let it rebuild parity.

Make very sure the disk assigned as parity is correct. You don't want to overwrite a data disk with parity.

• Like 1