[Support] Audiobookshelf

13 minutes ago, advplyr said:

This could be a bug actually. Are any of your covers not loading?

The books flagged in the warnings do not appear to have issues with covers, though there are a ton of books that do not have covers after the scan. I *think* this has to do with the parsing from the file/folder names as quite a few of them list the author as <last>,<first> and the book name has bits from the folder path that should not be there (such as the number in the series or other such things).

I think this is mostly on me to go through and fix the folder names to match the convention needed.

Edited by lutiana
13 minutes ago, lutiana said:

Also, there is something odd going on with the meta data retrieval. It looks like most of the book covers were grabbed fine, but none of the books have any data beyond that. No synopsis/author etc.

When I click edit to check on the metadata, the "Details" tab is mostly blank, and what it has seems to only be what was parsed from the local file name/path. The author is listed as <last,first> as well. If I click "rescan" it tells me that it was updated, but the meta data remains blank and it is also not re-scanning the ID3 data from the tracks either.

EDIT: For Clarity - I am going through the books, any flagged as having errors I am manually fixing. Most so far are just the track number meta data in the MP3 being wrong. So I am using mp3tag to just re-number them in order. But when I go to rescan the book, nothing changes. So I am wondering how I can get the changes made in the file to happen in the Audiobookshelf interface.

A few days ago I added support for the genre ID3 tag. I setup a button on the manage tracks page to dump the raw meta tags for each audio file to help with testing and see what other peoples metadata looks like.

https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf/issues/114#issuecomment-948122227

Can you click that button on a few of your audiobooks and share the raw tags you are seeing?

29 minutes ago, lutiana said:

The books flagged in the warnings do not appear to have issues with covers, though there are a ton of books that do not have covers after the scan. I *think* this has to do with the parsing from the file/folder names as quite a few of them list the author as <last>,<first> and the book name has bits from the folder path that should not be there (such as the number in the series or other such things).

I think this is mostly on me to go through and fix the folder names to match the convention needed.

Do you mind sharing your folder structure and naming convention? I haven't tested a LAST, FIRST thoroughly yet and haven't seen anyone using that so I want to make sure there aren't bugs with the scanner. The scanner is pulling a lot of details out of the filenames

Ok, here is what I found.

{"album":"Mockingjay","artist":"Suzanne Collins","album_artist":"Suzanne Collins","iTunPGAP":"0","iTunNORM":" 000003A4 000003A4 00002A61 00002A61 0000914E 0000914E 00007C1A 00007C19 00023E63 00023E63","iTunSMPB":" 00000000 00000210 00000B10 0000000000B941E0 00000000 0042C7D2 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000","iTunes_CDDB_1":"F9117710+335490+16+150+20251+44632+62836+85156+110966+130278+152446+175159+198276+212435+224801+245449+269802+292771+314853","iTunes_CDDB_TrackNumber":"12","disc":"2/10","encoded_by":"iTunes 10.4","title":"Disk 2 Track 12","track":"023/152","date":"2010"}

The interface indicates that the metadata shows this to be 023/152, or track 23 (in the "From metadata column). The file list on the other hand says it is track 12 from the metadata, which is what it was before I edited the track number in the id3 tag.

A full library scan did not fix this, nor did a re-scan if the individual book fix it either.

29 minutes ago, lutiana said:

Ok, here is what I found.

{"album":"Mockingjay","artist":"Suzanne Collins","album_artist":"Suzanne Collins","iTunPGAP":"0","iTunNORM":" 000003A4 000003A4 00002A61 00002A61 0000914E 0000914E 00007C1A 00007C19 00023E63 00023E63","iTunSMPB":" 00000000 00000210 00000B10 0000000000B941E0 00000000 0042C7D2 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000","iTunes_CDDB_1":"F9117710+335490+16+150+20251+44632+62836+85156+110966+130278+152446+175159+198276+212435+224801+245449+269802+292771+314853","iTunes_CDDB_TrackNumber":"12","disc":"2/10","encoded_by":"iTunes 10.4","title":"Disk 2 Track 12","track":"023/152","date":"2010"}

The interface indicates that the metadata shows this to be 023/152, or track 23 (in the "From metadata column). The file list on the other hand says it is track 12 from the metadata, which is what it was before I edited the track number in the id3 tag.

A full library scan did not fix this, nor did a re-scan if the individual book fix it either.

This could be considered a bug. The "Re-Scan" button was intended to scan audio file ID3 tags again, which it does for everything except track #. I will need to update this to set the track number from metadata and track number from filename fields, BUT I don't want to override the current track order incase manual adjustments were made. Hopefully that makes sense, I need to update the docs. Doing a regular library scan will only probe the audio file metadata the first time it is seen, because it is a time consuming task.

20 minutes ago, lutiana said:

I do not. Attached is what you need I think.

tree.txt is the entire tree, without the files.

tree_small.txt is just a snippet of the structure, but with files in the list.

tree.txt 59.49 kB · 2 downloads tree_small.txt 110.12 kB · 1 download

Beautiful collection, and well organized. I did a scroll through and it looks like the scanner should be handling this well. The filenames with CD may have trouble parsing the track number out of it, i.e. "Richard Adams - Watership Down - CD01 - 01.mp3". This was brought up today actually: https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf/issues/127. I am considering adding support for CD # but haven't thought it through yet.

Update: I meant to ask if you could share which audiobook wasn't pulling in the cover image, or which one was splitting into multiple books.

Edited by advplyr
11 minutes ago, advplyr said:

This could be considered a bug. The "Re-Scan" button was intended to scan audio file ID3 tags again, which it does for everything except track #. I will need to update this to set the track number from metadata and track number from filename fields, BUT I don't want to override the current track order incase manual adjustments were made.

Yes, that does make sense. I think you may want to consider adding a second button that says "Update Track numbers from Metadata" or something like that. Maybe a popup that give you two options, with track number update and re-order and without.  The main issue I am running into here is with books that are ripped by CD track. So I have Disk 1 track 1, that has the same track number as disk 2 track 2. So I went through and updated the numbering so it just flowed through the disks. Manually re-ordering the tracks is an option, but it will take forever to do, much easier if I could just update the file order by the track numbering in the id3 meta data.

The other issue that I am seeing is something to do with the author parsing. The <last>,<first> folder names seem to work, but it seems to be getting in the way of meta data retrieval and how the book is listed. 

image.png.84b719fd9656c15eb426980eb599d277.png

Notice how the "By" field is listed. I was not expecting that, I was expecting it to be <First> <Last>

If I go into the meta data editor I get:

image.png.9d25961a513951d802b222d38efc9db8.png

Nothing is populated, and again the author field is not what I'd expect. I *think* this is why I am not getting any meta data from the internet. Although if I manually set it to the correct way, and re-scan it still does not grab any internet meta data either, nor does a whole library scan work either. Am I misunderstanding how that button is supposed to work?

I also notice that on more than a few titles the parser includes the year (see the screen shot for an example). But again, manually correcting that also does not yield any internet meta data being added.

Edited by lutiana
40 minutes ago, advplyr said:

The "Re-Scan" button was intended to scan audio file ID3 tags again, which it does for everything except track #.

Actually, a rather elegant way to get around this would be to update the meta data track number with the update, but not re-order the tracks, but make the column heading clickable so that the list is sorted by that column and then you can save the order from there.

This would not obliterate any custom ordering, but would allow for the user to easily determine which data is best for track ordering and can pick it with a simple click. Makes ordering the tracks by the number parsed from filename, the number grabbed from the id3 tag or even the actual file name very easy to do.

28 minutes ago, lutiana said:

Nothing is populated, and again the author field is not what I'd expect. I *think* this is why I am not getting any meta data from the internet. Although if I manually set it to the correct way, and re-scan it still does not grab any internet meta data either, nor does a whole library scan work either. Am I misunderstanding how that button is supposed to work?

The author name is a bug, I will update this in the next update, it should be showing you First Last.

You are misunderstanding the button. That saves a text file in your audiobook folder with the current book details and metadata. That button may get removed, I'm not sure if it useful yet.

There is no metadata getting pulled from the web. The only web request that would be made is if you have turned on the "Scanner find Covers" setting then it will lookup a cover only if a cover is not set yet.

The original plan was to have auto-populated metadata like Calibre, but it was not reliable and the current sources for that data are not good, so I scrapped it. I think that is a big project down the road.

35 minutes ago, lutiana said:

I also notice that on more than a few titles the parser includes the year (see the screen shot for an example). But again, manually correcting that also does not yield any internet meta data being added.

I didn't plan for the year to be wrapped in parentheses, but seeing your folder structure now I think it makes sense and I will add it in the next release. This is the current title folder naming convention supported: https://www.audiobookshelf.org/docs#naming

3 minutes ago, lutiana said:

Actually, a rather elegant way to get around this would be to update the meta data track number with the update, but not re-order the tracks, but make the column heading clickable so that the list is sorted by that column and then you can save the order from there.

This would not obliterate any custom ordering, but would allow for the user to easily determine which data is best for track ordering and can pick it with a simple click. Makes ordering the tracks by the number parsed from filename, the number grabbed from the id3 tag or even the actual file name very easy to do.

I agree. You are hitting on a bunch of topics brought up today, I just added support for sorting by those columns: https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf/issues/128

Consider checking out some of the ideas people are sharing on github

1 minute ago, advplyr said:

The original plan was to have auto-populated metadata like Calibre, but it was not reliable and the current sources for that data are not good, so I scrapped it. I think that is a big project down the road.

Got it, I will adjust my expectations on this one. 

2 minutes ago, advplyr said:

You are misunderstanding the button. That saves a text file in your audiobook folder with the current book details and metadata. That button may get removed, I'm not sure if it useful yet.

No, it is very useful IMO, it may just need more explanation somewhere on what it does exactly.

3 minutes ago, advplyr said:

I didn't plan for the year to be wrapped in parentheses, but seeing your folder structure now I think it makes sense and I will add it in the next release. This is the current title folder naming convention supported: https://www.audiobookshelf.org/docs#naming

That is helpful. I may wait till the next release, then start working on optimizing my naming convention on my files. The library is well organized, but not perfect.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, advplyr said:

I agree. You are hitting on a bunch of topics brought up today, I just added support for sorting by those columns: https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf/issues/128

Consider checking out some of the ideas people are sharing on github

I have been, there are two posts from me there already (the nginx reverse proxy, and I was about to make a thread with my suggestion about ordering, but I missed the one you linked), so cancelled it before submitting it. Glad to be on the same page as you though :D

Edited by lutiana
  • Haha 1

If I start messing with the folder/file layout (renaming, moving around etc). Will a rescan of the library be sufficient to get those changes to reflect in the UI? i.e Will it delete entries for files/folders that are no longer present?

EDIT: For others who may wonder this same thing, audiobookshelf handles folder name changes very well. Just rename it and the ui is updated nearly instantly. Makes clean up very easy.

Edited by lutiana
  • Like 1
41 minutes ago, Kodey said:

Great App I love it. I can't seem to get it working with SWAG though. Anyone else having trouble getting this working with a reverse proxy? 

I'm not sure about SWAG, but some reverse proxy setups were shared and added to the github docs recently: https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf#reverse-proxy-set-up

Not sure if you saw that or not. The web socket step seems to be what is tripping people up.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, advplyr said:

I'm not sure about SWAG, but some reverse proxy setups were shared and added to the github docs recently: https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf#reverse-proxy-set-up

Not sure if you saw that or not. The web socket step seems to be what is tripping people up.

Thanks for the reply I did see those Nginx configs. Although they look straight forward to transfer over to swags config types I for some reason cant figure it out. 

Would you mind elaborating on the Web Socket step people are having issue with? It may be my problem and I dont even know it 

8 minutes ago, Kodey said:

Thanks for the reply I did see those Nginx configs. Although they look straight forward to transfer over to swags config types I for some reason cant figure it out. 

Would you mind elaborating on the Web Socket step people are having issue with? It may be my problem and I dont even know it 

Audiobookshelf uses socket.io, they have a page in their docs about setting up reverse proxy: https://socket.io/docs/v3/reverse-proxy/

If anyone is trying to get this working with SWAG i managed to get it working with the following config.  I adapted the one on the socket.io website to listen on 443 as SWAG wouldnt allow the HTTP set with the socket.io template.

Make sure to put your unraid IP address where i have put in caps below.  Also make sure you name your file as below and put in your SWAG proxy-confs folder

audiobookshelf.subdomain.conf

server {
    listen 443 ssl;
    listen [::]:443 ssl;

server_name audiobookshelf.*;

include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;

location / {
      proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
      proxy_set_header Host $host;

proxy_pass http://YOURUNRAIDIPADDRESS:13378;

proxy_http_version 1.1;
      proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
      proxy_set_header Connection "upgrade";
    }
  }

• Like 1

I've noticed a bug with the android app

I had everything working great.

So I put a jpg of a book cover I wanted to use ln the folder. It seemed to work at first. Then the Android app crashed. I kept trying to open the app but it would crash instantly.

So I logged into auidobookshelf using my web browser and I could see the image of the book I tried to change showed as invalid. I deleted the image on the book and it revert back to the default book cover. So I opened the android app and it worked as normal again.

6 minutes ago, Greygoose said:

I've noticed a bug with the android app

I had everything working great.

So I put a jpg of a book cover I wanted to use ln the folder. It seemed to work at first. Then the Android app crashed. I kept trying to open the app but it would crash instantly.

So I logged into auidobookshelf using my web browser and I could see the image of the book I tried to change showed as invalid. I deleted the image on the book and it revert back to the default book cover. So I opened the android app and it worked as normal again.

Have you tried a different cover to confirm it is only happening with that cover?

I don't see any crash reports for today.

6 minutes ago, advplyr said:

Have you tried a different cover to confirm it is only happening with that cover?

I don't see any crash reports for today.

Hey,

I tried doing the same process and it's working fine now. It was definitely a cover issue as the web browser version showed invalid cover. The issue was the android app would crash instantly, not allowing me to change the cover in the app. Once changed in the browser version the android app worked fine again.

I'll be using the app extensively next few days so will report back anything.

Oh and thank you for your commitment to this project, I had been looking for a dedicated audiobook self hosting option for ages. I've tried several other options in the past, this is by far the best 👍 

Maybe one of unraids amazing YouTubers could do a short guide on the setup and feature set, it would help give the project a wider audience.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Greygoose said:

Hey,

I tried doing the same process and it's working fine now. It was definitely a cover issue as the web browser version showed invalid cover. The issue was the android app would crash instantly, not allowing me to change the cover in the app. Once changed in the browser version the android app worked fine again.

I'll be using the app extensively next few days so will report back anything.

Oh and thank you for your commitment to this project, I had been looking for a dedicated audiobook self hosting option for ages. I've tried several other options in the past, this is by far the best 👍 

Maybe one of unraids amazing YouTubers could do a short guide on the setup and feature set, it would help give the project a wider audience.

Thank you! The android app is almost ready to come out of beta, then the iOS app can get prioritized.

Most of the issues are getting put in the app's github page: https://github.com/advplyr/audiobookshelf-app/issues or the discussions page on there.

Unraid does have some great youtube content creators, helped me out quite a bit setting up Unraid at first.

advplyr,

Testing today I noticed that the app is not able to work with android auto when plugged into my cars headset. Other apps such as spotify, poweramp work with android Auto.  Is this something that can be implimented as I expect it will be a very useful feature for those who listen to audiobooks when in their vehicle.?

• advplyr changed the title to [Support] Audiobookshelf