Unraid disk not able to mount 'unmountable: not mounted'

Hello!

Im running a Unraid server with the following specs:

x570 Aorus Master

Ryzen 3900x

RTX 3070

4x 8TB WD Red

1x Wd-black sn750 cache

Yesterday I tried starting my Unraid array, it did start but the first disk is listed as 'unmountable: not mounted'.

1453395908_Bildschirmfoto2021-08-30um12_55_38.thumb.png.cc03541d3c61e3ecbbcd18f4eba6155a.png

After that I ran xfs-repair -v from the gui, which finished without problems but the disk remained unmountable. Running that same command in an command line results in this output:

root@Tower:~# xfs_repair -v /dev/sdd
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
bad primary superblock - bad magic number !!!

attempting to find secondary superblock...
.found candidate secondary superblock...
unable to verify superblock, continuing...
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

this is then running forever.

Then I ran a s.m.a.r.t extended self test which completed without error despite taking the whole night.

Am I out of luck? Or are there other possible solutions which I should try?

Thank you for your help :)

55 minutes ago, philippneistat said:

root@Tower:~# xfs_repair -v /dev/sdd

That syntax will corrupt parity, md1 is the correct device. Definitely NOT the same command that the GUI uses.

If you had no parity, you could have used sdd1, assuming the drive designation didn't change. sd designations are subject to change each boot depending on multiple factors.

Regardless, the diagnostics zip file obtained with the array started normally will hopefully have more info about how to proceed.

Hello, 

here is the tower diagnostics zip attached.

Just tried the corrected syntax you mentioned: xfs_repair -v /dev/sdd1 and suddenly the drive mounted again. Really weird because I ran the xfs-repair in gui multiple time to no avail. Currently everything is working, could you guys still look at the diagnostics if there is anything else weird going on with the drive?

Thanks

tower-diagnostics-20210830-2110.zip

3 hours ago, philippneistat said:

xfs_repair -v /dev/sdd

That syntax won't work because it needs a partition on a device, and you only gave it a device.

Since you don't have parity, no difference between /dev/sdd1 and /dev/md1. Assuming of course sdd is disk1, which it may not be every time you boot.

13 minutes ago, philippneistat said:

look at the diagnostics

Doesn't look like repair put anything into lost+found so that is good. Do you think you have all your files?

Your domains share is cache-only but it has files on the array.

Many of your disks are very full, but most of your shares and cache have no Minimum Free set. That's just asking for corruption from overfilling, and full disks may have trouble with filesystem repair since it needs some space to work with.

Why have you given 40G to docker.img? Have you had problems filling it? 20G is usually more than enough, but I see you have already used 19G. I have 16 dockers and they use barely over one half of my 20G docker.img. Making it larger won't fix problems filling it, it will only make it take longer to fill.

Looks like connection problems caused corruption.

Aug 29 23:00:54 Tower kernel: sd 11:0:2:0: Power-on or device reset occurred
Aug 29 23:00:54 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: log_info(0x31120303): originator(PL), code(0x12), sub_code(0x0303)
### [PREVIOUS LINE REPEATED 1 TIMES] ###
Aug 29 23:00:54 Tower kernel: sd 11:0:2:0: [sdd] tag#1400 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x0b driverbyte=0x00 cmd_age=2s
Aug 29 23:00:54 Tower kernel: sd 11:0:2:0: [sdd] tag#1400 CDB: opcode=0x88 88 00 00 00 00 02 00 1f b2 f0 00 00 00 08 00 00
Aug 29 23:00:54 Tower kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 8592012016 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
Aug 29 23:00:54 Tower kernel: sd 11:0:2:0: [sdd] tag#1399 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x0b driverbyte=0x00 cmd_age=2s
Aug 29 23:00:54 Tower kernel: md: disk1 read error, sector=8592011952
Aug 29 23:00:54 Tower kernel: sd 11:0:2:0: [sdd] tag#1399 CDB: opcode=0x8a 8a 00 00 00 00 02 00 1f b1 f8 00 00 00 f8 00 00
Aug 29 23:00:54 Tower kernel: blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdd, sector 8592011768 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x800 phys_seg 31 prio class 0
Aug 29 23:00:54 Tower kernel: md: disk1 write error, sector=8592011704

and similar.