Content is emulated, unmountable - device not mounted.

sevenz

image.thumb.png.f2dd867ece3276876c40078f1bc4d2bb.png

It all started with Disk 1 died, so for a few days while waiting new disk comes, content is emulated. Now that it has come, opened up the case, swap the disk, suddenly Disk 1 becomes unmountable: not mounted. Weird it's a new disk, so I swapped the cables for it, somehow disk 5 and 6 follows, becomes unmountable.

So I read up here https://wiki.unraid.net/Check_Disk_Filesystems#Checking_and_fixing_drives_in_the_webGui
I did the xfs-repair. Not sure how I did it, suddenly disk 5 and 6 loss all data, if you see screenshot above that disks 6 has 56gb used. originally both disk 5 and 6 has almost full disk. Is there anyway to recover those files?

Panicked, I try to upgrade UNRAID to the latest RC version, only to kill my USB. I changed my USB to a new one, and copied the config to the new USB. Screenshot are all from the new USB.

Anyway, I dare not do anything else as of now, here I seek guidance on how should I proceed. I noticed photos from 2008 are gone, probably because they're on disk 5 or 6.

Right now the system is doing parity rebuild, but the speed is horrible.

image.thumb.png.11d35404079f0e0418acc371c113b9bf.png

mynas-diagnostics-20210913-2001.zip

here is the diagnostics, not sure if it any helps. Weird part that I notice is that all these happens to Seagate IronWolf disks.

2 minutes ago, sevenz said:

I changed the cable, changed the sata slot on disk5, still unmountable. 

Still having connection problems with disk5. Check connections, both ends, power and SATA, including splitters.

Just now, sevenz said:

Unfortunately this is my best backup :( unraid has been reliable protecting my files. 

Should I try to back up whatever's left?

You must always have another copy of everything important and irreplaceable. There are many ways to lose data that parity can't help with.

45 minutes ago, sevenz said:

disk 5 and 6 loss all data

Can't tell what may be on disk5 or disk1 since they aren't mountable.

You have a lost+found share where repair would have put anything it couldn't figure out from repair, but that share would only contain lost+found from disk6 currently, which has few if any files on it. Unless you have done repair at some time on another disk that is currently mounted.

22 minutes ago, trurl said:

Still having connection problems with disk5. Check connections, both ends, power and SATA, including splitters.

You must always have another copy of everything important and irreplaceable. There are many ways to lose data that parity can't help with.

I will try again tomorrow, I have some cables somewhere in office and will try that. I have swapped the sata cables but still unmountable. I havent tried to change the molex to sata adapter to power the HDD.

13 minutes ago, trurl said:

Can't tell what may be on disk5 or disk1 since they aren't mountable.

You have a lost+found share where repair would have put anything it couldn't figure out from repair, but that share would only contain lost+found from disk6 currently, which has few if any files on it. Unless you have done repair at some time on another disk that is currently mounted.

I see numbers and most of it are empty. So it's good to say that disk6 is empty and I cant recover anything?

image.thumb.png.a82870f40b5014f6f61baa53687aea79.png

EDIT:

Side note, now the error is gone, just that 2 disks are unmountable

image.thumb.png.63da0a05729759cdaa3f1f2106779b1d.png

Edited by sevenz
9 minutes ago, sevenz said:

I have swapped the sata cables but still unmountable

Fixing connections won't necessarily make disks mountable again. They might still need filesystem repair.

You can see the connection issues in syslog. Until they are fixed no point in trying to fix anything else, including repairing filesystems or rebuilding disks.

10 hours ago, trurl said:

Fixing connections won't necessarily make disks mountable again. They might still need filesystem repair.

You can see the connection issues in syslog. Until they are fixed no point in trying to fix anything else, including repairing filesystems or rebuilding disks.

Thanks, that's what I thought too, probably a lot easier to start from scratch, and install everything again from there. Any guidance on what I can do now?

I'm not sure how to wipe clean and restart unraid after backing up.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

How is starting from scratch going to help your hardware issues?

Are you saying Disk 6,5 and 1 possibly hardware failure? Because I just bought it recently, the oldest one is Disk6, around 4 months ago, Disk5 2 months ago. Disk 1 just bought it last week. Or seagate I bought is just shit?

Edited by sevenz