Grandprix's 24 drive 138TB capable build

OS at time of building: 5.0.5 - Preparing for transition for upgrade to get Dockers

CPU: Xeon E3-1240v3

Motherboard: SuperMicro MBD-X10SLM-F-O

RAM: 2x Crucial 16GB ECC DDR3 1600

Case: NORCO RPC-4224 4U Rackmount Server Case

Drive Cage(s): Built into Case

Power Supply: SILVERSTONE OP800 800W

SATA Expansion Card(s):2x LSi 9240-8i Flashed to IT --- 1x SYBA SY-PEX40039 PCI-Express 2.0 2 Port SATA III Controller

Cables: 2x NORCO C-SFF8087-4S Discrete to SFF-8087 (Reverse breakout) Cable - OEM --- 4x NORCO C-SFF8087-D SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 Internal Multilane SAS Cable - OEM

Fans: Stock -- Decided to stick with stock, as it's in a room along with other racked items with AC / Dehumidifier

Primary Use: Media (Movies [homemade/purchased], Pictures, Music)

Likes: It just works.. as of 10/19/2014 with the exception of upgrading hardware for Vx purposes, only one Toshiba drive controller died (albeit, that situation made me believe it was the motherboard SATA controller port going bad initially)

Dislikes: Only one parity.  There are arguments that it makes no difference if there are one, two or three.  I ask them, why bother with a solution like unRAID -at all- if they truly feel that way.  (shrug)

Add Ons Used: unMenu, preclear, apc

Future Plans: To virtualize/dockerize (eminent)

Boot (peak): 252w

Idle (avg): 99w (down 9 watts from old Sempron 140, Jetway mobo, 8GB SDRAM and SuperMicro MV8 controllers)

Active (avg): Will post single drive (+ parity) read/write wattage and then parity run wattage later

I have earlier pics with my Nikon, but, my wife took it with her today.. and with it the SD card.  So, using the backup camera.

Just some pics of it's progress thus far.  I'm still awaiting the molex connectors for the fans and the two SATA controller card from monoprice, they should hopefully be here Friday.  Wasn't planning on waiting that long, but, I -think- it would be easier to start it up for the first time with everything installed -- right?  As is, I have 22 drive support, so, eh.. dunno.  I'll figure it by tonight.

DSC00328.jpg

DSC00332.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00330.jpg

DSC00329.jpg

I have to run to get some more zip ties (I only have ones that are small white, or large black), I want small black.  I'm not entirely sure it will look "tight" and pretty when all is said and done, I already am weary of the tension on the multilanes.  I'm not thrilled about the transparent ribbon wire (or whatever it is called) for the power switch, reset switch, etc.  Getting the connectors into the backplanes wasn't an issue, as I removed the fan wall, or rather, loosened it up and slid it towards the motherboard, to allow more working room, until I was done with all of them.

Tempted to fire it up, as I would like to begin on the Memtest burn in.

The only thing I might mention you look into, apparently Norco sells a different mid fan wall bracket that accomodates 3 x 120mm instead of the 4 x 80mm it comes with. Apparently supposed to be a LOT better at cooling the system. I haven't seen this listed on Newegg though, may have to buy direct...

Shawn

I suggest holding off on the 120 mm fanplate and fans until you've tried the stock fanplate and fans.  I've noticed that the newest version of the 4224 has much, much better fans than the original version did.  The fans are now reasonably quiet (still far from silent, but shouldn't be obtrusive in your case) and seem to move enough air.  If you aren't happy with them you can always upgrade later.

Haha, look at the stats on those fans, 5500rpm and 250CFM. Don't get a finger stuck in those. :)

@whaler:  I know, ridiculous.  I'm almost wanting my temps to be a little on the high side so that I can get the fan plate, those fans and then make a video of the fan plate hovering, heh.

@Raj: Yeah, gonna hold off and see what's what first.

OP, have you booted the system up on unRAID yet? I'm curious if the 880G chipset it uses is problematic like someone else has noted with this chipset. I've found out that my Foxconn board does not accept locking SATA cables, plus with the SATA headers facing the cages space is very cramped.

@Super, all parts will be here Tuesday, I suspect I'll have things up and running that evening pending nothing gets added to the honeydo list at the last moment.  THIS board has been used twice in 20+ builds with great success (until one of them experienced a brown out if I remember correctly).  It's not much different than it's "newer" version board that I'll be actually utilizing (I can't tell -what- is different about them TBH, aside from the missing LED digit status "thingy").  I've read about the 880 NB issues as well, but in each of those cases, it seemed an 800 series SB was used in those boards, whereas this uses the 710.  We'll see on Tuesday what happens.  The thread will be populated with the build, pictures, comments, etc.

Other than 1066 support now lacking and the removed LED digits, no idea.

Even if it only says 1600(OC)/1333 it will still be able to do speeds less than that easily. Maybe Jetway found a way to produce the boards more cheaply and that's why this new revision exists.

Well, the case has just arrived.  I haven't opened it up just yet, but, I will say, that just one strip/line of tape on the top and bottom flaps of the box is NOT enough for a 49.7lb box.  Needless to say, UPS delivered without a hitch (haven't looked inside but the outside box looks just fine, just loose flaps on both top and bottom of the box.. nice.

Some pics up, will resize them then.

Looks good. If there's an outer panel for the back side of the case you could always drill some holes into the metal to run some zip ties and tidy up the cabling.

I'm using the same motherboard as you, it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow and I'm excited to get things running. I'm using a much smaller case and only 15 drives for my build, but if I need to jump to a larger case I didn't want to have to buy another motherboard. I routinely keep my hardware for 10+ years so I wanted to be prepared. My XBMC box is a 16+ year old P4 with a modern video card. I'm slowly upgrading all the stuff in the home, and the first new thing is an unRAID server.

Unreal.  Evidently, I ordered the 15pin FEMALE SATA to 4pin MALE, vice 15pin MALE to 4pin FEMALE.

No one in town as these.  I suppose I -could- use 4pin molex splitters, but length may be an issue since all the 4pin power molex's from the PS are at the backplane.  Would pose a small problem for the two rear exhaust fans.

I'm so tempted to snip a 15pin MALE SATA connector off the PS line, but, my luck it may be defective then I won't be able to return it.. heh.

Soooo.. yeyep.. all together now, but no fans yet.. and really not wanting to wait for a monoprice order to get delivered.. I've done that since Sunday, when I ordered the correct connectors.

La dee dah... anyone in Virginia with [these things?]

Score 1 for the local computer store that had adapters.. Project complete with the exception of setting up Unraid.  Once I do that, kill a watt figures will be entered.

DSC00338_small.jpg

DSC00337_small.jpg

I wasn't really in a wire management mood tbh, as the build already took roughly 4 days longer than I had anticipated.  So, with 100 more zip ties to work with, I tackled some of the wires enough for me to be content for airflow purposes.  I believe the 3x120mm wall allows for better wire fitment for some reason, that or I simply didn't have enough coffee in me when I started it all.  Either way.. this is what it looks like.  I sure hope all the hardware works.. too tired and grumpy tonight to bother with setting up Unraid, I'll do that tomorrow evening with any luck.

Archived