HDD read errors

sadly my server has now turned itself off during parity check, and its starting with the array stopped. This happened 2½ months ago also during a parity check, but I thought it was fixed when I got a new PSU (Super Flower Leadex III 550W) about 2 months ago. I wanna try and change the sata cable for disk6, I think the problems started after I added this disk.

Is there any risk of data loss from the parity check crash in itself? I'm thinking its ok because it only reads data... I'm looking for a way to replicate this crash for troubleshooting purposes without risk of data loss

EDIT: Btw i started array and its seems ok - green lights

Edited by jensrobot

I had the exact same problem... drives were throwing random read errors (mostly when I try accessing a spun down drive).  Extended SMART tests didn't show any problem with the drives, and all the unreadable sectors were never the same. I tried swapping out two drives, two controllers, and another set of cables... it ended being a bad PSU and now one of my drives have an unmountable FS.

If the drives are good, it's probably the cable, controller, or in my case, the PSU.

6 hours ago, jensrobot said:

Is there any risk of data loss from the parity check crash in itself? I'm thinking its ok because it only reads data...

A non-correcting parity check only reads data. An unclean shutdown can sometimes result in parity sync errors though. And it's even possible a crash could result in incomplete writes to a data disk if anything was being written at the time.

21 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You should replace it then, or at least swap both cables/slot with another one to rule that out and then replace if more errors.

I'll switch ports next. The motherboard actually have 2 different sata controllers built in (there is 2 extra slots next to the group of i think 6 ports), and i just notice disk6 is the only one on the secondary controller. I'll report back