Localhost - unable to connect - unable to access GUI

Hi, I have recently been building a new server. Everything has been fine for last week or so, last night though I shutdown unraid to install a new hard drive. Upon reboot I am unable to access the Unraid GUI remotely via the IP or directly on the server in GUI mode. I am getting an error of localhost unable to connect. As far as I'm aware no settings have been adjusted to have impacted this, and server has been running fine until this reboot.

A few things to note:

- Cable - have double checked that the cable (directly connected to router) is working fine on other devices

- Static IP - I have a static IP setup for the server within my router - I have tested removing this and let it dynamically get its own IP address but still same end result

- I am able to access the terminal fine and login via root account - I have also tested pinging the servers IP from another machine and all seems fine

- I have noticed that on boots through all my testing an IPv4 address is assigned but for IPv6 I get 'address not set' - I can't remember if that is typical or not

-USB thumb drive is a Samsung Bar Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive 32GB (as recommended by SpaceInvaderOne) - again have had no issues with this for last month while getting this server running

-the USB drive has been to date in a USB 3 slot and running fine, I have also tested this in a USB 2 slot and same results

-The motherboard BIOS is set to boot legacy, I have also tried to boot UEFI and same result

Diagnostics are attached.

Hoping this is something fairly simple - I've seen a few people mention in threads to remove the network.cfg and network-rules.cfg files from the usb drive - I have tried this but same result.

tower2.0-diagnostics-20211204-1009.zip

Give the system a couple of minutes.  The system basicially finished booting up at 10:08:12 10:08:19 is the last line logged and the diagnostics are from 10:09

One "quirk" of the OS is that the WebUI does not respond until everything is completely finished.

If problems persist, then delete dynamix.unraid.net.plg from /config/plugins on the flashdrive temporarily, reboot  and see if there's any change.

Ok so tested something this morning.

1 - I formatted the usb drive and copied over clean install of Unraid and then copied entire config folder - same result with unable to connect error

2 - I re-formatted the usb drive to a clean install of Unraid (not copying over anything from my backup config folder) and was able to load the GUI when booting that, so that confirms to me theres not an issue at the router or cabling etc.

Question though, what files do I need to copy over from the config folder to retain shares, disk order, dockers etc - happy to reinstall plugins etc if required, but ideally don't want to have to redo shares or docker. Note that I am still currently on a trial licence (was just about to purchase the full licence)

• Thanks 1

Ok as an update, I have started with a fresh install of Unraid on the USB stick and copied over the following files:

-disk.cfg

-docker.cfg

-ident.cfg

-super.dat

-share.cfg

-config/psswd

-config/shadow

-config/smbpasswd

-Docker templates from plugin folder

Everything appears to be working now, so must have been one of the plugins, I am guessing unless anyone can shed any further light (would be good to understand what caused the issue). What doesnt add up for me is that I tried running in safe mode without the plugins originally and it was still having the same issue which made me think it wasnt a plugin issue.

Anyway, I am going to try installing each of the plugins one by one and testing which may help identify the cause

• Thanks 1
  • 7 months later...

I found @chrishorton7 solution to be the best for me for transitioning to new motherboard Asus z690 E 12900k. Also coming off of 6.8.3 and loading a fresh USB creation to the latest version 6.10.3 in UEFI mode. The transition worked. IP was assigned.

New hardware build , also going from Intel legacy boot in bios to Intel UEFI boot in bios( because I read my motherboard does not like legacy boot, so I will UEFI for now just to get it running). The transition was not easy at all. The new build IP : not set occurred, disallowing me to upgrade unRAID to another version (deleting network.cnfg files didn’t work). Since I had transferred all my drives already, little change could be made. I was able to restore backup USB on old motherboard & processor to verify there it got assigned an IP and there were no network issues (I made sure on router to remove reserved IP address for Tower). I also verified the boot in bios (indeed it was Legacy, non UEFI).

Here are the files and folders you want to transfer from your USB backup to the new clean USB install: https://wiki.unraid.net/Files_on_v6_boot_drive there are some things like the “.key” file for instance that are important to move over that aren’t mentioned in op previous post, so check the link. It says appdata is not necessary to move over on USB; I did move it over, but it doesn’t matter; because I believe the appdata is on the array, not on USB… plus you need to recreate/format cache pools (for me only possibly since I was coming off of 6.8.3, I don’t know if you have to if you were on 6.9). THEN I believe you can move over your app data backup to the new location. I am working on this and VM recreation now. If I don’t post results feel free to ask.