Getting Sync Errors (random 41-550) problem & crashing server during parity (SOLVED)

Matthews
Go to solution Solved by Matthews,

Hi,

so I have an old pc that i refurbished and used an old MB and CPU from my computer to use as a NAS. 

It worked fine, one disk died(was dying) in the past two years (maybe also not, could be an issue with the controller, will check it later again if I add it to a different parity array and do a preclear). But back to the main issue.

The problem is I started getting errors when syncing because my Unraid was becoming unresponsive when doing a monthly parity sync. I had to do a hard reset and got back to parity and the cycle continued. Unresponsive server and only hard reset would make it available again. 

The only thing that worked a few times was a parity check (correcting one) in safe mode. It completed it several times without becoming unresponsive. Yet now i think not even that will work. I was thinking a plugin was causing this.

The only thing i changed was, I was adding 2 more drives to swap out parity drive & one data drive. I was doing a preclear of a drive and the server would just crash. I have since removed them and tried parity, and now it still keeps on crashing crashing. I think even once in safe mode. 

I first thought another disk bites the dust, but all long smart checks came back okay.

Now I tried memtest, looks okay so memory doesnt seem to be the issue.

If anyone has any ideas what in the hell could be causing this im frustrated as to I have no clue what is causing it. I searched the forum, reddit and nothing seems to work that I try. Is it maybe file corruption or why do the number of errors change (started with 41, went to 700ish, went back to 550)?

Thank you!

h20-diagnostics-20211219-1651.zip

Edited by Matthews

So i unhooked the 2 drives and made some bios changes and voilà ran parity 2 times without a problem. 

Not sure if HW (PSU maybe, or my controller card - getting new one on thursday) or software (plugin). So after running it twice i did one without "write corrections to parity" and the second one with "write corrections to parity" and they both worked (aka no crash/freeze). 

Somehow tho on the second one it still found 565 errors and did not fix them. 

My plan is running it again and seeing if it corrects errors. If it doesnt, what should i do? Does safe mode not write corrections to parity or is it just in need of another parity sync check or file sys corruption of sorts?

• attached diag. and parity history

123123123.PNG

h20-diagnostics-20211220-1931.zip

Edited by Matthews
4 hours ago, Matthews said:

Somehow tho on the second one it still found 565 errors and did not fix them.

When you run a correcting check it reports all the sectors it corrects as ‘errors’ which is a bit misleading so you then need to run another non-correcting check and this time you should expect 0 errors.

• Solution

So guys I have ran the third check(except few bios settings & removing 2 drives off a controller, nothing changed).

All errors have dissapeared. I repeat! 

This is great news, but I am still not sure how and why is this happening. Bcs im not sure what is happening with my unraid server.

I will try the upgrading parity drive and on Thursday i am installing a new controller card JMB585 and hooking up all the disk to it (read that since 6.1 onwards i can switch up ports). 

Thank you for your help.

h20-diagnostics-20211221-0951.zip

• Matthews changed the title to Getting Sync Errors (random 41-550) problem & crashing server during parity (SOLVED)