Help with network settings please :)

Hi Team,

I done an upgrade to my unraid server a few days ago, moved it from 1gb copper to 10gb fibre.

Something is not right though, the server can't see the internet and when I click on the apps tab I get this message:

Community Applications requires your server to have internet access. The most common cause of this failure is a failure to resolve DNS addresses. You can try and reset your modem and router to fix this issue, or set static DNS addresses (Settings - Network Settings) of 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and try again.

I've tried adding that DNS address and made no difference. 

Has anyone come across this after a network change?

Thanks

Disabling in the switch seems to be a nice idea, but is not very bright. As you can see, the cards still do get an IP address and all belong to the same net.

This is, at least, confusing. Strange things may happen.

You should pull out the cables from 10Gbe#2 and 1Gbe, then stop the array, resort the interface names (10gbe#1  stays eth0, 10gbe#2 becomes eth1 and 1gbe becomes eth2), reboot.

then disable eth2 (permanently) and eth1 (temporarily).

Make sure your switch knows about the upcoming bonding/trunking

Now activate bonding on eth0 and THEN YOU GET THE OPTION to add eth1 (the 2nd 10Gb) to the trunk pool! (it needs to be disabled so far!)

After disabling you can reinsert the cable to the 2nd 10GB port again.

Choose the bond type wisely, it must be supported by your switch and the settings must be identical on both sides

"failover" may sound like a good idea first, but it is usually the worst of all. If both links go to the same switch and even come from the same card, there is nothing to fail over to. It would only help if your dog cuts off one of the cables. In all other cases it would not help at all.

The other choices are heavily depending on what your switch can do and how it will handle trunks. This differs between vendors and even devices. So you need to read the F*Manual very closely. One of the hardest part is that even the used terms are not really "common", so sometimes its very hard to guess what great feature of your vendor corresponds to one of the offered choices.

You can try them one by one, sadly sometimes it looks like it would work, but it does not really. So be prepared for some strange effects.

And, the most important thing: STAY COOL AND PATIENT!

When playing with bonding/trunking often the MAC Addresses of your Host may be changed to something virtual or so. This may lead to "cannot ping" situations, that simply come from cached ARP entries. So either flush the cache on the testing machine after every config change of UNRAID, or drink a cup of coffee and wait for the cache to timeout. Else the results may lead you into the wrong directions.

Edited by Michael Meiszl

Thanks for the very useful info, I'm not trying to bond the connections.

My end goal is to get the server working on 1x 10gb interface only, which I can locally. When I have it working on the 10gb interface I get the error about the server can't connect to the internet. This is with bonding enabled and the 1gb cable removed, the moment I switch bonding off on the 10gb I lose all connections.

Just tried a flush DNS and register, I'm gonna restart the router and switches in a sec just in case there's something funky going on.

Ok, restarted everything and now can get back on the server with only the 10gb plugged in and bonding off! So that's all good and exactly how I wanted it.

Problem know is back to the original issue, the server can't see the internet, grrr!

Community Applications requires your server to have internet access. The most common cause of this failure is a failure to resolve DNS addresses. You can try and reset your modem and router to fix this issue, or set static DNS addresses (Settings - Network Settings) of 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and try again.