Share sizes are wrong in first array- need help/clarification

HDGuy

I’ve read a lot and am starting to get a bit overwhelmed so I thought it would be easier just to ask:

So I decided using a little prebuilt NAS to run Unraid was inadequate so decided to get something a little better. I picked up a used Lenovo P300 Thinkstation w/Xeon v3-1226 e3 and 12GB or ram off eBay for $75, which seems to hit my purposes for a media server.

I am using 4 shucked 14TB WD drives in my array (1 for parity), with a cheap 2TB nvme drive as a cache. 

Whenever I setup 3 shares this is the problem I come up with:

My first share always shows 41.7TB free with 13.9TB available. My other 2 shares always show 13.9TB free with 13.9TB available regardless of how I set it up. If I try to set up my second share to use the third disk only it will say it’s outside the range of available shares. 

Im a bit confused- I thought when setting up a share I could have it span all my drives if I want, but for some reason I don’t seem to be allowed to do this. Each share seems to be limited to the corresponding drive in the order I setup the share regardless if I tell it to span the array or not.

Also, what’s the best way of setting up a media server’s share? I am basically just going to be putting rips of movies and TV shows on my setup, so I thought limiting each share (ie:Movies, TV Shows, Anime) to a single drive would be best to keep the drives from spinning up too much, rather than spreading content across all 3 drives?

On this attempt I tried setting up each share to limit to a single drive, this is new to me so please have patience. It's a learning experience. I'm not sure if it's better to restrict media to a single drive for each share or to have it span the entire array?

Ultimately what I'd like to do is have SABNZBD download media automatically to the cache and then move everything over nightly.

unraid-diagnostics-20220208-0911.zip

Ignoring that you've now constrained each of them to a single drive, they are both set to fill up the drive prior to moving onto the next drive.  (And the split level on the T one is going to override the fill up procedure).  You want to remove any split level on the "T.....s" share and usually you would set both those shares to be highwater

I believe that you're better off letting all your media span all the drives.

3 hours ago, Squid said:

Ignoring that you've now constrained each of them to a single drive, they are both set to fill up the drive prior to moving onto the next drive.  (And the split level on the T one is going to override the fill up procedure).  You want to remove any split level on the "T.....s" share and usually you would set both those shares to be highwater

I believe that you're better off letting all your media span all the drives.

Ok, been getting conflicting info on how to set up a share, that’s why I asked. Right now I’ve been following a rather popular series of YouTube videos that constraining each share to an individual drive and then adding drives as you need is the best way to extend the life of the drives.

I thought using the split level option would be best for TV Shows which would make searching through multiple seasons in sub folders quicker?