Lost Connection During Parity Rebuild

jmcskis

I'm in the process of increasing the storage in my server. During the parity rebuild after adding the new parity drive, I lost all access to the server. I can't access the web gui, I can't SSH in, and now it's not even showing as connected to my network. I also tried connecting a monitor and keyboard to the server, but all I get is a blank screen and no response. As a result, I'm unable to get the diagnostics or the syslog.

The only indication I have that my server is even on is that the CPU and case fans are still running. All HDD activity has stopped (or at least the HDD activity LED has stopped flashing).

It seems like my only option is to perform an unclean shutdown, but given this happened during a rebuild I'm terrified that this will just screw things up even more. My system only has a single parity drive. I do have the old parity drive, which I can reinsert if required.

Any ideas what may have caused this? Could this be an indication of an issue with my usb drive?

What steps can I take to limit data loss from this?

Also, I don't know if it matters, but during the rebuild, I was also preclearing a new data drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. After forcing a reboot, I was able to get the parity rebuilt and moved on to replacing data drives. Same thing again, everything froze up partway through, forced a reboot, got the drive replaced fine. Moved on to preclear my next drive and what do you know...things freeze up again. Ok, time to check everything. Did the usual checks of all my connections, ran a check on the flash, etc. After searching a bit more, it seems like my RAM could be at fault so I ran a memtest and oh boy. Given that I'm getting 1000's of errors, I'm guessing that I found my issue...

I did pull diagnostics before my server hung up on me the last time. Not sure if there's anything in there that would tell me I have failing RAM.

Memtest_IMG_20220215_204223.jpg

Memtest_IMG_20220217_184615.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20220216-1250.zip