Extended SMART Test failes shortly after start

Hello. 

I have a couple of WD Red 4 TB drives that I migrated from a QNAP NAS. Today I wanted to run a SMART Test on all drives because the one parity drive already showed 135 read errors in the "start" tab. Currently the SMART test for two drives (including the parity) is running finde. 

But for one drive it keeps on failing a couple of seconds after I have started it. My expirience with SMART is very very limited and I have no idea why it failes but attached is the report of the test. 

Is the drive just dying of old age? 

WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-WCC4E7CAE1VY-20220213-1558.txt

Serial Number:    WD-WCC4E7CAE1VY

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR-K   200   200   051    -    2
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   ---R--   200   200   000    -    2

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 2  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%     51243         3006328

REPLACE

Are you sure you don't have others that need attention? Attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

1 minute ago, Pete0 said:

But where exactly is the problem in the quoted text in your post? 

Trurl extracted the most relevant elements from your SMART report.

This drive also has some errors :

Serial Number:    WD-WCC4E1UNZTYS

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR-K   200   200   051    -    13

4 minutes ago, Pete0 said:

I will add 1 and 200 to the list. Thank you. But as I said up until now

Different manufacturers use some attributes differently, so Unraid do not monitor all of them. This only represent the monitored attributes, so not entirely representative.

I see. I will inform myself about SMART a little bit more so I understand it better.

Meanwhile I have bought another drive, in addition to the one I already have. Unraid shows two drives (parity and one data drive) with errors so I will replace them both.

I don't want to derail the thread but does Unraid do a periodical SMART check? In the task scheduling settings there is no SMART job to set. My previous QNAP did run an extended SMART test every week.

Sorry to bother again. 

Yesterday I have replaced the faulty drive with a "new" one. New is in quotes because this is an identical WD Red 4 TB drive to the one that I replaced but this one was unused for about 5 years. It was still sealed. Having added it yesterday and rebuild parity I started about one hour ago to fill it with data and it didn't take long and unraid started to show read errors. Currently it is as 625 read/write errors.

This was no problem while the parity was building. Is this drive failing too? 

Edit: ok, nevermind. It just failed. :(

unraid-smart-20220215-0448.zip

Edited by Pete0
  • 2 weeks later...

@Pete0

SMART report for that drive looked OK. Probably a connection problem, but without diagnostics couldn't say for sure. Probably any connection problem you were having was fixed as a consequence of replacing the drive, even if the drive itself was not the problem.

And, of course, since those problems were the result of replacing a drive, connection problems are not uncommon in that situation. You must always double check all connections when mucking about inside.