Communication errors after updating to 6.10.0-rc2(3) to use ipvlan in docker custom network type instead of macvlan

Go to solution Solved by calvolson,

@nik82 @macmanluke Have you seen this post from Bonienl a couple of days ago?  Perhaps this would help with your issue.

I have experienced no macvlan call traces, server lockups or communications issues for more than two years since I moved my Docker containers to a VLAN.  I switched Docker to ipvlan when it became available as an option (although it probably was not necessary) and continue to be problem free on my Unifi LAN. 

What Bonienl describes is a little different but similar in concept. I moved docker containers to a VLAN and he is describing how to move them to a separate Ethernet NIC.

Edited by Hoopster
On 3/31/2023 at 1:40 AM, nik82 said:

I can confirm that this is exactly how it is currently working for me. I find this ridiculous, is a fix being worked on in a new version of Unraid? If so how long until this is released? 

I can confirm, what you have confirmed - that this is exactly how it is currently working for me as well.

I thought I was going insane with the constant crashes for several months now...

Hopefully they get a fix out.

Edited by eybox
  • 1 month later...
On 3/31/2023 at 3:55 AM, Hoopster said:

@nik82 @macmanluke Have you seen this post from Bonienl a couple of days ago?  Perhaps this would help with your issue.

I have experienced no macvlan call traces, server lockups or communications issues for more than two years since I moved my Docker containers to a VLAN.  I switched Docker to ipvlan when it became available as an option (although it probably was not necessary) and continue to be problem free on my Unifi LAN. 

What Bonienl describes is a little different but similar in concept. I moved docker containers to a VLAN and he is describing how to move them to a separate Ethernet NIC.

So I finally bit the bullet and tried this. Activated the Onbaord 2.5gb Nic and assigned it to dockers only 

The problem is that this does not solve any of the issues, with this solution Host access to custom networks does not work at all, neither in Mcvlan or with Ipvlan. 

Even if this is satble is does not solve the issue and I can achive the exact same "stable" system using IPVLAN on 1 nic and share it with unraids "noraml" system. 

The problem still stands, you either have Mcvland with Host access to custom networks which allows you to assign dockers like Guacamole or Unifi a dedicated IP and they can talk to other dockers, which allows you to setup and use NGINIX reverse proxy, BUT and it is a big freaking but, It crashes all the time. 

OR you have ipvlan or this dedicated NIC solution which cause no crashes but you have no Host access to custom networks. 

As such I dont see how this "solution" helps vs just using IPVLAN.

• Like 1