Licence swap

Be sure to make a backup of the current Flash/Boot Drive before you start down the path of swapping the present Flash/Boot drive to the new backup server.

The reason for saying this is that the      /config    folder contains all of the confirmation information for your present server setup.  If you copy the contents of this folder (minus the    plus.key    file) over into the same folder on the new Pro Flash/Boot drive, that old server will come running exactly as it is presently configured except it will have the Pro license.

• Like 1
On 3/27/2022 at 8:58 PM, Frank1940 said:

Be sure to make a backup of the current Flash/Boot Drive before you start down the path of swapping the present Flash/Boot drive to the new backup server.

The reason for saying this is that the      /config    folder contains all of the confirmation information for your present server setup.  If you copy the contents of this folder (minus the    plus.key    file) over into the same folder on the new Pro Flash/Boot drive, that old server will come running exactly as it is presently configured except it will have the Pro license.

On 3/27/2022 at 8:16 PM, Squid said:

Licenses are tied to the stick, not the server.  No problems to move over the stick to another server, do a New Config and set things back up.

Ok thanks I think I understand. So;

1: purchase Pro licence.

2: Backup Flash
3: Copy flash contents to new flash drive

heres where i'm unsure:

4: stick new flash drive in new server and migrate the current active pro key over to that one

OR

4: Put the new flash drive in my current server minus Plus.key file?

if the former
5: delete pro key from the config folder and boot up the server, assume it will say no key so then add the activation code for the Pro licence

if the latter

5: boot up that server and add the pro licence.

Now i've written it down it sounds like both methods would be okay?

Thanks again just wanting to be sure i have the right idea

Edited by zapp8rannigan

Why don't you start here:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Articles/Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_do_I_purchase_Unraid.3F

and

https://wiki.unraid.net/Articles/Getting_Started#Registering_and_Installing_Your_Key

Unraid is undergoing an license activation evolution with the introduction of version 6.10.   

The important thing for you to do is to wrap your head around this concept.  You can going to prepare a new physically flash drive that will contain all of the files that are on your present flash drive EXCEPT for plus.key file in the /config folder.   IF you have that file on that new flash drive, it is very. very easy to transfer your current Plus license to that new flash drive.  That will blacklist your old flash drive!!!  (This would prevent you from using that old flash drive with its Plus license for your future backup server.)

Personally, I would use the manual method to prepare the new flash drive.  I would also be using the backup of the present flash drive as the source for the files that I copy to the new flash drive.  (That way, the new flash drive system would be identical to your present system except it would have a Pro license.)    Here is the link to the manual method:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Articles/Getting_Started#Manual_Install_Method

At this point, you can put the new flash drive into your system and use one of the license installing methods above. 

When you get ready to build the new backup server, you start from scratch with the present flash drive.  Copy the Plus.key from the backup to the    /config   folder.  Bott up the new server and begin to config it. 

If you find the whole process too confusing, you could just upgrade the flash drive with the current Plus license to a Pro license and purchase a new Plus license when you build your backup server.  But I seem to recall that this would cost an extra $10.00...

By the way, this whole thing should only take about 30 minutes--- From start of server shutdown to the completion of the reboot with the new flash drive.