Windows 11 and default shares

opentoe

I'm only asking this here because there are lots of smart people here. I have asked this on Windows specific forums with no luck. And have searched Google as well. I have tried several "resolutions" but none of them work.

The issue I am having is I am unable to access my shares ( not unraid ) on my Windows 11 machines. They are all setup to be in a private network, printer and file sharing are on, network discovery, all that good stuff. Get this, I can even turn OFF the Windows firewall and when I try to access a default C$ share all it does it prompts me for a username and password. I've tried making a local user on all the machines so I knew I was using good credentials. When I do this to my Windows 10, it just pops up the C$ with no problems, doesn't ask for credentials at all. I checked credential manager as well. How can a Windows 11 share not be accessible even with a firewall off? Has anyone here run into anything like this with Windows 11? I have no clue what's blocking me from accessing these shares. I have 4 Windows 11 machines and 1 Windows 10. All 4 Windows 11 machines are presenting the same behavior and it is making me go nuts. Of course if I'm on the Windows 11 computer itself and enter the IP or name \\192.168.1.122\C$ it pops right up. Just can't access the default shares or the folders I shared manually which is prohibiting me to do a few things I want. Does anyone have a clue on what could this problem be? Since it happens on 4 completely different computers I know it has to be a specific Windows issue, one that I haven't figured out yet. I'll give you a buffalo nickel if you lead me into resolving this one!!! :)

• 1 month later...

Did you ever figure this out? Seeing this issue on PCs running W11 on my LAN.

Interesting observation: if you go to `\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\foldername` on Windows Explorer, you can access it just fine in terms of permissions. if you go to say `\\SERVER\foldername`, you get informed that you don't have permission and get given the login prompt.

An even weirder observation: when this occurs, if you restart the Windows 11 machine that it has happened on, you can then access Unraid again. Just restarted each Windows 11 machine. Go figure, clearly not an Unraid issue. I don't encounter this on Windows 10, at least not that I'm aware of. What a buggy mess 11 is all these months later!

Edited by Hammy Havoc
  • 5 months later...

I just had something similar start happening for me as well.  I'd get as far as entering the credentials from the user I created on Unraid but then it would ask me to select a certificate to use for the share.  Since I didn't have any certs set up, I used the address that the MyServer plugin defaults to since it has a LetsEncrypt cert running. Connecting to that ij5lk2j4j52j34k2k3l4jl23.unraid.net address now lets me log in with no issues under the un/pw I expected.

Could you try turning off "Only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device (Recommended)" and see if that fixes your issue?  This setting also blocks Remote Desktop from working and bites me all the time.  This should allow your manually created account to sign-in.

1. Go to Settings, Accounts
  2. Click Sign-in options
  3. Change the slider to OFF for "Only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device (Recommended)"

image.thumb.png.4b5f074c07669bd95a0d5edfdd403782.png

Edited by SillyKeith
On 11/14/2022 at 5:47 PM, SillyKeith said:

Could you try turning off "Only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device (Recommended)" and see if that fixes your issue?  This setting also blocks Remote Desktop from working and bites me all the time.  This should allow your manually created account to sign-in.

This suggestion did not work for me....

I am having similar issues as the OP. I can access all of my shares from any Win10 machine, but am unable to from Win11. Interesting to note is that I was previously able to access my shares from Win11 - lost that ability within the last couple of weeks. Nothing changed on the UnRaid side recently - though several windows updates have processed in the last few weeks.

UnRaid 6.10.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NM. I found my solution. It was as follows. Credit to user "trurl" from this thread.

Go to Windows Control Panel, Credential Manager, and delete any Unraid credentials so they can be renegotiated. Then, be sure to try to access the private share before trying to access any other share. With Windows, you only get one login per network resource and you must make sure that one login is the one needed for the private share. Windows won't use another login even if it prompts you.

Edit: I should note that I did have to create a new windows credential for accessing the shares. In that credential, the only way I could access the shares with full permissions (that is, be able to write) was to incorporate the workgroup (as set in SMB Settings) to the user name. Example: workgroup\username

Edited by erikm101
adding detail
  • Thanks 1
  • 9 months later...
On 12/15/2022 at 2:28 PM, erikm101 said:

NM. I found my solution. It was as follows. Credit to user "trurl" from this thread.

Go to Windows Control Panel, Credential Manager, and delete any Unraid credentials so they can be renegotiated. Then, be sure to try to access the private share before trying to access any other share. With Windows, you only get one login per network resource and you must make sure that one login is the one needed for the private share. Windows won't use another login even if it prompts you.

Edit: I should note that I did have to create a new windows credential for accessing the shares. In that credential, the only way I could access the shares with full permissions (that is, be able to write) was to incorporate the workgroup (as set in SMB Settings) to the user name. Example: workgroup\username

Going off of what was said here I wanted to addon to add more clarity for anyone else having the same issue.

What worked for me on Windows 11 was Windows Control Panel > Credential Manager > Add a windows credential

Internet or network address: Same as the share you are trying to connect with. If the server is called Unraid_Box you would put in Unraid_Box

Username:  Shared access username goes here

Password:

I went through a lot of troubleshooting but in the end it was a Windows 11 issue.

• 3 months later...
On 9/21/2023 at 4:40 PM, Gobananas said:

Going off of what was said here I wanted to addon to add more clarity for anyone else having the same issue.

What worked for me on Windows 11 was Windows Control Panel > Credential Manager > Add a windows credential

Internet or network address: Same as the share you are trying to connect with. If the server is called Unraid_Box you would put in Unraid_Box

Username:  Shared access username goes here

Password:

I went through a lot of troubleshooting but in the end it was a Windows 11 issue.

This solved my issue, thank you.